Why are you not AAAC?

Andy Collins

Why are you not AAAC?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not AAAC?

• Whats the AAAC?
    • Its just too expensive, not for the little companies
    • I would like to, but dont know where to start!
    • I dont need them to tell me how to do my job
    • I'm in the process of going for AAAC

I feel that AAAC status is a win win situation personaly, and have chosen AAAC firms as a basic guideline for looking for a new job as and when I have wanted to move on. Any firm relies on having good staff, skilled staff and these guys are like rocking horse manure as anyone running a business will no doubt be fully aware of. My current boss said in 30 years of looking this is the first time he has felt he has a climber able to do the job to a standard he feels he can relax with a bit and has taken a back seat because he can. If you become AAAC people including potential staff will take you seriously.

I would also say that AAAC status will attract enquiries that will benifit the prgression of your business from a growth perspective because simply Informed clients and more importantly comercial clients will simply not entertain a company that doesnt take itself THAT seriously.

if I was ever to start up my own company again i would set out from the start to gain AAAC before any other consideration, because I would be in a position from the start to market myself as a proffesional contractor and be far more aggressive in my marketing tactics than i could be just doing leaflet drops door to door and competing with the ladder crews!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working for an AAAC the other day for a private sector co.

As we were going about our work for rd/public safety wrk the senior member of the co was aproched by a member of public who lived near by. She went on to ask him what we were up to & who the scruffy lot were who were carrying out the work!

He went on to sell the AAAC co I was working for with high regard & alot of emphasis on the fact they have 'quote an acreditation of only 150 co's in the country from the Arb assosiation & that is no mean feat!' he went on to say that this is the only resson they use said co & that they are highly recomended.

This sort of comunication with the public & making them aware of pro co's is invaluable imo & with a little referal to the AA web site packs more of a punch.:thumbup1:

He also commented on our comments of some real bad tree wrk we had observed in her garden & as har husband is a prem footy manager he should be able to afford some good tree wrk, lol. What a sales man & flag flyer for good tree practices..

In my opinion its not well know enough outside the tree world. Also it doesn't hold the same kind of 'clout' that something like gas safe does as you need to be registered on it by law Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered with Gas Safe Register to be able to fit and test gas in any household or building site. Its also a supported by the government. I've quoted on a couple of jobs and have been asked if i was AAAC because the council said any contractor should be. I told them its not a legal requirment to be a AAAC and got the job.

Also it seems to be the big companies that go for it because they can afford too i guess.

I think it is a good thing for the industry as a whole but feel if it doesn't have any government support its just like being a member of any club. (Sorry if it sounds harsh).

Hi Targettrees,

PLEASE don't apologise for sounding 'harsh', we need to hear it as it is and how you see it, otherwise we continue to progress(?) with blinkers on.

Having discussed this issue of central government regulation on several occasions with some fairly high ranking people, i.e Peter Annet, it's just not gonna happen.

We're not a big enough, nor dangerous enough, industry AND we're not introducing or altering a highly explosive substance INSIDE domestic properties. I would like this too BUT IT JUST AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...sorry if I sound pessimistic but I like to think more realistic.

I wholly acknowledge your, very valid, argument that otherwise we're just another 'club' BUT surely if we can work together to make that club big enough (be it the AA / ISA / EAC or whatever/whereever you, the industry, feels it will be best represented) this is the 2nd best thing, i.e. self-regulation, and could have the same effect (well, okay perhaps not but I don't see whatelse we can do to dispel the 'rogues' etc. and promote the 'gud uns!')

The Gas Safe regsitration, to some extent, is paralleled by the NPTC units whihc are a legal requirement under PUWER (Reg. 9 states this specifically for chainsaws) AND, you know what, there's probably as many if not more 'rogue' Gas Fitters around who aren't GS regsitered....sorry, I'm bletherin on!

This issue of the big companies going for it, albeit absoluetly not the case BUT, I have tried to address/suggest how this perception could be overcome BUT, more importnatly, addressed satisfactorily (sorry, don't wanna repeat it coz mi 'pinkies' is aching but please read my previous post.)

PLEASE post back your further views in light of my response coz if I'm 'way off the mark' I need to seriously rethink....n quickly!

Cheers..

Paul

I was working for an AAAC the other day for a private sector co.

As we were going about our work for rd/public safety wrk the senior member of the co was aproched by a member of public who lived near by. She went on to ask him what we were up to & who the scruffy lot were who were carrying out the work!

He went on to sell the AAAC co I was working for with high regard & alot of emphasis on the fact they have 'quote an acreditation of only 150 co's in the country from the Arb assosiation & that is no mean feat!' he went on to say that this is the only resson they use said co & that they are highly recomended.

This sort of comunication with the public & making them aware of pro co's is invaluable imo & with a little referal to the AA web site packs more of a punch.:thumbup1:

He also commented on our comments of some real bad tree wrk we had observed in her garden & as har husband is a prem footy manager he should be able to afford some good tree wrk, lol. What a sales man & flag flyer for good tree practices..

Danavan, thank you for your post.

However, it sounds like we needs to introduce a standard for arborists 'dress code'...."& who the scruffy lot were who were carrying out the work"...ha!

Cheers..

Paul

Danavan, thank you for your post.

However, it sounds like we needs to introduce a standard for arborists 'dress code'...."& who the scruffy lot were who were carrying out the work"...ha!

Cheers..

Paul

We aint a pretty looking bunch I am told:sneaky2::laugh1:

Think the dress code could be a way fwd. I have been told on a number of ocasions that I make a good suit look bad!

You can't shine a turd as they say:laugh1:

I feel that AAAC status is a win win situation personaly, and have chosen AAAC firms as a basic guideline for looking for a new job as and when I have wanted to move on. Any firm relies on having good staff, skilled staff and these guys are like rocking horse manure as anyone running a business will no doubt be fully aware of. My current boss said in 30 years of looking this is the first time he has felt he has a climber able to do the job to a standard he feels he can relax with a bit and has taken a back seat because he can. If you become AAAC people including potential staff will take you seriously.

I would also say that AAAC status will attract enquiries that will benifit the prgression of your business from a growth perspective because simply Informed clients and more importantly comercial clients will simply not entertain a company that doesnt take itself THAT seriously.

Were so sorry the rest of us non AA types don't live up to your expectations chap:sneaky2::001_tt2:

We'll have to try harder

Hi Targettrees,

PLEASE don't apologise for sounding 'harsh', we need to hear it as it is and how you see it, otherwise we continue to progress(?) with blinkers on.

Having discussed this issue of central government regulation on several occasions with some fairly high ranking people, i.e Peter Annet, it's just not gonna happen.

We're not a big enough, nor dangerous enough, industry AND we're not introducing or altering a highly explosive substance INSIDE domestic properties. I would like this too BUT IT JUST AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...sorry if I sound pessimistic but I like to think more realistic.

I wholly acknowledge your, very valid, argument that otherwise we're just another 'club' BUT surely if we can work together to make that club big enough (be it the AA / ISA / EAC or whatever/whereever you, the industry, feels it will be best represented) this is the 2nd best thing, i.e. self-regulation, and could have the same effect (well, okay perhaps not but I don't see whatelse we can do to dispel the 'rogues' etc. and promote the 'gud uns!')

The Gas Safe regsitration, to some extent, is paralleled by the NPTC units whihc are a legal requirement under PUWER (Reg. 9 states this specifically for chainsaws) AND, you know what, there's probably as many if not more 'rogue' Gas Fitters around who aren't GS regsitered....sorry, I'm bletherin on!

This issue of the big companies going for it, albeit absoluetly not the case BUT, I have tried to address/suggest how this perception could be overcome BUT, more importnatly, addressed satisfactorily (sorry, don't wanna repeat it coz mi 'pinkies' is aching but please read my previous post.)

PLEASE post back your further views in light of my response coz if I'm 'way off the mark' I need to seriously rethink....n quickly!

Cheers..

Paul

No good response:thumbup: The self regulating thing is a great idea but how can it be enforced? I understand that their are cowboys in every trade more so in some than others. I have a company working around my way which happily top trees leave stubs and charge a fortune. The clients always seem to be happy too (being the tree warden i try to inform them whats been done is bad):thumbdown:. How could we regulate these type of guys?

IMO there are some members of the public who check to see if you do a good job (refrences, website) or are a member of any associ's. But a vast majority see a tree as a thing that takes their light. Also these ones see a hedge and a tree as the same kind of thing 'oh i can top my hedge to get more light why not the tree??':thumbdown:

It would be nice to rasie public awareness. Even at the village fate later this year im having a stall for my company and im putting a board of photos of good tree work and bad cowboys work.

Were so sorry the rest of us non AA types don't live up to your expectations chap:sneaky2::001_tt2:

We'll have to try harder

There is always one that will take what you say as a negative! i have had injury from working with rouge traders, I wont take chances again. I know there are good firms out there, that are not AAAC. However, you just dont know what your getting, at least an AAAC firm you know isnt going to turn out to be the kind of boss that gives you the worst 12 months work of your life!:thumbdown:

No good response:thumbup: The self regulating thing is a great idea but how can it be enforced? I understand that their are cowboys in every trade more so in some than others. I have a company working around my way which happily top trees leave stubs and charge a fortune. The clients always seem to be happy too (being the tree warden i try to inform them whats been done is bad):thumbdown:. How could we regulate these type of guys?

IMO there are some members of the public who check to see if you do a good job (refrences, website) or are a member of any associ's. But a vast majority see a tree as a thing that takes their light. Also these ones see a hedge and a tree as the same kind of thing 'oh i can top my hedge to get more light why not the tree??':thumbdown:

It would be nice to rasie public awareness. Even at the village fate later this year im having a stall for my company and im putting a board of photos of good tree work and bad cowboys work.

Thanks for posting back!

I know 'self-regulation' for the industry isn't the ideal BUT it's the next best thing I feel as, realistically, it's the only option available to us (obviously other than carry on as we are, which is an option but does that, collectively, move us forward?)

Enforcement is a key issue, and for 'regulated' industries as the 'regulator' never seems to be in the right place at the right time and is usually underfunded).

My view is that the more recognition we can give the 'good guys', and yes I believe that does mean 'a badge', and the more good guys we've got, combined with (massively) increasing awareness of who the 'good guys' are (partic in the domestic sector) AND what 'good practice' is, i.e. why topping/lopping your trees isn't the answer, then that's our best shot = 'enforcement (indirect) through education and awareness at the consumer level'!

Dunno, appen I'm 'barking mad' and need to find a different tree BUT I need to do summat, to offer some 'better' opportunity for more 'good guys' to get the recognition they deserve and the industry moved forward.

Thanks for reading..

Cheers..

Paul

Thanks for posting back!

I know 'self-regulation' for the industry isn't the ideal BUT it's the next best thing I feel as, realistically, it's the only option available to us (obviously other than carry on as we are, which is an option but does that, collectively, move us forward?)

Enforcement is a key issue, and for 'regulated' industries as the 'regulator' never seems to be in the right place at the right time and is usually underfunded).

My view is that the more recognition we can give the 'good guys', and yes I believe that does mean 'a badge', and the more good guys we've got, combined with (massively) increasing awareness of who the 'good guys' are (partic in the domestic sector) AND what 'good practice' is, i.e. why topping/lopping your trees isn't the answer, then that's our best shot = 'enforcement (indirect) through education and awareness at the consumer level'!

Dunno, appen I'm 'barking mad' and need to find a different tree BUT I need to do summat, to offer some 'better' opportunity for more 'good guys' to get the recognition they deserve and the industry moved forward.

Thanks for reading..

Cheers..

Paul

Talking about a group of us. I think it was said earlier but its a good idea IMO that their could be an Approved Arborist scheme for freelance climbers? If someone who had said thing sent me a CV asking for a odd days work i would have no hesitation on taking them on as they in my eyes have been regulated by a body that i respect to be of a high standard. :thumbup: