AAAC scheme public consultation.... The summary report.

Andy Clark

This is one of the things about the AA that really get up my nose!!

The AA always talk as though any one can just ring the AA and say "please and watch us work for a day and see if we are up too the mark", this is so far from the truth, becoming AAAC is a commercial decision and require a large investment of hard earned cash.

You are trying put pressure on none AAAC to come on board for the wrong reasons.

Skyhuck,

"large investment of hard earned cash"- the only investment required is the fee to be assessed and the 'membership' fee. I can't remember how much that is exactly but roughly a grand for assessment and four or five hundred pounds a year, this is not a 'large' investment.

Or can I assume you are referring to incidental costs for following H&S protocol and being professional?

Do you have a hang up about the scheme because never in a month of Sundays would you pass the assessment?

If you are happy about the way you run your business fine, but why criticize a scheme just because you have CHOSEN not to conduct your self within the parameters of that scheme?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think that that is an entirely fair point Blakes7, and although i am not for one minute going to fight anyone elses corner, i strongly agree with Skyhuck. There is no way that i could find that sort of money for a scheme with little or no tangible advantage to my business given my customer base, and would hazard that this is the case for many others for a myriad of reasons.

I dont think that that is an entirely fair point Blakes7, and although i am not for one minute going to fight anyone elses corner, i strongly agree with Skyhuck. There is no way that i could find that sort of money for a scheme with little or no tangible advantage to my business given my customer base, and would hazard that this is the case for many others for a myriad of reasons.

Tommer 9,

my point is that anyone CAN ring up and ask for assessment. If you don't want to because you can't see the benefit -don't.

Just because you are not AAAC does not mean you are unprofessional- acting unprofessionally makes you unprofessional .

This is where we all have different ideas- the AA is trying to give some guidance to our customers and they can only promote companies that have proved their professionalism in an assessment. They DO acknowledge however that other companies DO exist in their leaflet.

Tony my point is why should the tax payer foot the bill to police an organisations member body when they wont do it themselves and that same body has an element of commercial profit.

if the TO's argument is to be accepted to support this programme & thats a big IF

their remit is only amenity trees ? So what happens when those practioners of th esaid organisation do poor tree work outside of the To's remit A Flawed plan me thinks

or will the TO it for FREE

to suggest I'm confrontational !, the boot on other foot, what about others swerve the discussion by making comments proporting to not understand the question due to geographical of cultural difference.

I hope that clears it up for you ? if not I'll try again

Tony my point is why should the tax payer foot the bill to police an organisations member body when they wont do it themselves and that same body has an element of commercial profit.

if the TO's argument is to be accepted to support this programme & thats a big IF

their remit is only amenity trees ? So what happens when those practioners of th esaid organisation do poor tree work outside of the To's remit A Flawed plan me thinks

or will the TO it for FREE

As I've said on another thread - there are some false dichotomies here.

What, in your opinion, is a non amenity tree?

A TO's remit is wider than you think but varies post to post. My given duty for the LPA I worked for was to "Protect and enhance the natural environment and green infrastructure of the district". So there is a considerable difference between the job role and the statutory duties of the TCPA 1990.

Trying to raise the standard of work is part of that duty regardless of who is undertaking it AAAC / Non-AAAC / Cowboy / Landscaper / Homeowner / Bored window fitters. Most of it is education, but occaisionally it is enforcement. Now whether you think it works or not, the AA has a complaints procedure, which provides an additional enforcement option.

Would you prefer that TO's were prevented from using this option? Given that TO's strive to raise standards (or should do at least), why do you want them to exempt AAACs?

Edited by Amelanchier
sp.