can someone advise me please?

MARKSCUZZIE

looking at doing some course but not sure which is the better options, im looking at three

1 the r.f.s on line i know this is a good starting block

2 the technitions course?

or 3 the isa

which is the better option? if the rfs is a good starting block is it worth buying the isa study guide book to help me through this? or is it mainly aimed at the isa?

maybe even thinking about the online foundation degree course but not sure if i could do this cause i dont have any qualifications, i am 31 im looking at trying to improve my current situation i.e money and thought maybe its best if i look at getting some qualifications in arbor. please help???????????

looking at doing some course but not sure which is the better options, im looking at three

1 the r.f.s on line i know this is a good starting block

2 the technitions course?

or 3 the isa

which is the better option? if the rfs is a good starting block is it worth buying the isa study guide book to help me through this? or is it mainly aimed at the isa?

maybe even thinking about the online foundation degree course but not sure if i could do this cause i dont have any qualifications, i am 31 im looking at trying to improve my current situation i.e money and thought maybe its best if i look at getting some qualifications in arbor. please help???????????

Hi 'Markscuzzie',

To some degree(?) I would suggest a governing factor is where you see yourself in say 5-10 yrs. time? IMO the RFS Cert. Arb. is a good grounding for the industry, the ISA Cert. Arb. probably (whilst both are currently level 2 on the Quals. framework) recognised at a higher level within the industry and imposes CPD/CEUs to keep up-to-date.

The Tech. Cert. is currently level 3 and more geared at Supervisor level AND is very well recognised as, possibly, the point of transfer from craftsman to technician (probably sounds an obvious statement but what I mean is attainment of Tech. Cert. is often seen as a passport to becoming a 'tree advisor' then leading onto junior consultant after say 5 years experience).

I guess the reality is how much time do you have available and what's available at the time...eh????

Whilst I'm more than happy to talk thru further if you wanna give me a call at the 'office' I'm sure many members have recent first hand experience they can share.

Cheers..

Paul

Tech cert is a good solid block to learn from if you want to be able to write reports and 5837 surveys. I found it more geared towards the law with trees and less geared on other things like woodland managment. (i did do the twice a month course). But its good for sending you in any direction really, foreman, surveyer, consultant, own boss. Then you can top it up with the degree and its so close to it theres less chance of it feeling overwhelming.

Also as i plan to do is get the isa cert arborist, just as soething else to show to the customer to make me stand out from the other company's around my way.

I can't comment on the rfs as i've never done it. im sure someone will be able to shed light on that one in more detail.

The best option would be the one that is going to benefit YOUR future plans, i think it depends what you intend to be doing once you get qualified as each qualification will open different doors, what sector of arb are you going to aim for? contracting/consulting/teaching?