Chimney sweeping - how much?

davetaz

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies

Was really just after an idea what other people pay for chimney sweeping but with hindsight I guess it looked like I was complaining. That was not what I intended.

Got a price off him beforehand and was happy to pay.

Just made me think whether it is something I could look into as an extra service for my firewood customers.

there are a couple of chimney sweep institutes that offer training courses that then allow you to become a member of their institute. Checked on their websites and my nearest recognised/qualified sweep is about 40 miles away.

Will do some more research in to it but looks like there is a shortage around here

Been looking at doing a course myself as it happens and it's not a five minute job by any means. The National Association of Chimney Sweeps run several courses including the NVQ Level 2 in chimney engineering which takes around nine months to complete. The Guild of master sweeps do similar stuff and reckon on a minimum of eight days training - with classroom and on the job training - you're looking at over £1100 to train and join up with them.

I guess it's similar to tree work in many ways - looks fairly simple on the face of it, but if you think about it from the point of view that if you get it wrong you could be gassing the poor family, then that puts it in a different light. Proper sweeps will have a wide range of tools and equipment to cover all eventualities - some of which are a looong way from your set of £20 B&Q brushes, and will give proper certification of the job they've done which has legal standing. If the guy turns up in his car with some rods in an old golf bag - you've probably got the wrong guy in....

Recommended sweeping frequency for woodburners is quarterly when the stove is in use (and yearly for most other types of appliance) - I wonder how many people actually have the sweep round that often?

Andy

my mate does ours cost 35 each but his vacum cost nearly a grand and he is a qualified hetas engineer seems good to me i cant do it , he has insurance and fuel to think of and he like us is never granteed work we moan about loppers and toppers bet its the same in his game

Payed £50 to have our open fire done, chap couldn't have been better came set up and cleared out in 40mins including a cuppa but not one bit of mess anywhere cannot fault him and would gladly pay again to have it done with no mess as I remember an old boy who used to do grandparents aga! Hand prints and foot prints everywhere! Looked like the cops had been in dusting for prints over the whole house! :001_cool:

C B

Just had a sweep round to clean out chimney for log-burner and flue from wood-burning Raburn, £30 each! Is that too much? It only took about 20-25 minutes for each one.

£60/hour and all you need is a small van, good vacuum and a set of rods with two sizes of brushes and a few dust sheets

Dave can you give me his number?