Another Chipbox Problem

Dean Lofthouse

Hey all, i have looked at getting a box made for my tipper, a quote from a blacksmith was 800 + vat for just a frame to be built out of mild steel. After picking myself up from his workshop floor i did some investigating. Parker steel can supply enough steel to buit a 10x7x4 foot back for £200 to make a frame. you have to weld it yourself but if you know a friend etc etc etc. You can then either board it with ply or spend another 220 and get enough alloy sheet to cover it. I am going to do this but use a super tough pvc tarp pulled tight for the top. I will let you all know how it goes.

I know a guy in defford who will build you a box...he did ours, very light and very strong...box section and zintec sheet

DSC00080.jpg.36d7cc6503093ece20d388db87c68a28.jpg

DSC00083.jpg.f49687435b76e722a13f2563d0b4d253.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about having a custom back made out of say 5mm aluminium. It would slope from just below roof level upward towards the rear and from the behind the cab side outwards. Tried downloading a sketch but had problems

Has anyone built one out of Ali before and know the pitfalls, disadvantages and cost

Or has anyone got any other suggestions, apart from roof spoilers :icon14:

loose the ply and use some box section mild steel, it's lighter than you think, fill in the gaps with zintec sheet metal, very light and very strong...ally is frikkin expensive for what it is.

Just received all the steel for the back of my tipper, seriously heavy!!! Using 50mm x 50mm x 5mm angle iron with some 50mm x 5mm flat bar. the back should emasure when finished 10ft x 7 x 4. This Zingtek sheet a few people have mentioned, is it good to use? Was thinking alloy but if there is an alternative!

Another sheeting solution is to see what the cost/weight is for Delrin sheeting. there are other names for this plastic material. Sign companies use it for light box type signs. The material is tough enough to survive vandals chucking rocks at sub freezing weather.

Dean,

I got a 130 tipper and have been thinking of the best way of transporting chippings without a box .

AT the length you want it put in uprights mirroring the front and have removable gaged sides also matching the front.

This will utilise the trucks dropsides enabling easy loading of logs , good visiability and the bonus of chipping into ,with the help of a canvas sock/bag that can be tied/cliped into the 4 corners.Then the chips wouldnt fly out the back in transport.

Then you wont have the drag and fuel consumption of a permenant box but a versitile do it all beaters inc landi ??

Just an idea

Dean,

I got a 130 tipper and have been thinking of the best way of transporting chippings without a box .

AT the length you want it put in uprights mirroring the front and have removable gaged sides also matching the front.

This will utilise the trucks dropsides enabling easy loading of logs , good visiability and the bonus of chipping into ,with the help of a canvas sock/bag that can be tied/cliped into the 4 corners.Then the chips wouldnt fly out the back in transport.

Then you wont have the drag and fuel consumption of a permenant box but a versitile do it all beaters inc landi ??

Just an idea

Mine started out as you described, I used to just clip a sheet round which worked brill until I got the Bandit chipper, which is so viscous it required a wrap round box to catch everything before I killed someone with flying chip.

I did notice a massive difference in drag as you say and fuel consumption went right down. I was thinking of taking the box back off just to see what difference it made.

I was gonna try using maybe an old sail/army tent? stitched up sides and top and end with the opening at the rear - so its all enclosed stopping the chips flying-then it can be rolled up and put away when not needed, maybe with a removable bar half way down the cage to clip the top onto to stop sagging like an old pair of knickers

So you then still get an all round 'canvas' box?

I just want to reduce weight n drag so I can squeeze more on board and get home before dawn.

I work alot off road so getting into position with chipper ready for exit I need to keep my visiability,

as they are quite clumbersome in a tight spot....

why not have a removable ply headboard at the front of the bed to take the punishment from the chip, wiremesh sides with heavy duty tarp covering sides and top with overlap at the front to prevent chip escaping-chuck tarp and headboard it the load bed when not got a load of chip on board-reducing drag???

worked well on my hilux!