Stihl Bench Mount Filling Tool

liamjordan

i think the only way to get good is hit a lot of nails lol. sounds stupid but if you get takedowns full of steel it can almost break you mentally mate, but bent over an 88 for a few days with a file soon gets your skills up. My sharpening is falling by the way side, as for all i am cutting now, and its mostly pruning or conny bashing. But you soon et back in the way of it. I would love someone to take a video of tips and tricks for us, i have learnt on here you can not realise something for years that is very obvious to others. My sharpening has always been ok, maybe a 7 out of 10 i reckon, my mate can bring back the dullest of chains in minutes, i think its a fat guy thing, they will do anything for a skive ha ha

i got one when i first started out but never got along with it.

then found it again last year and i tried it and tbh now i know what why and when i found it to be a remarkable and very clever simple and easy to use .

But to get the most out of it you really need to know what your doing

so i sold it:001_tt2::thumbup:

Those things are a PITA i reckon, and i have yet to see one used with REALLY good results. The best thing for the 88 in the alaskan mill is either free hand, bare file to tickle it up during the day, and after a day put it in the vice in the workshop to get it perfect again, or try one of those in my experience flippin awful 12volt chain sharpeners. The stihl file holder thing actually has a marking for 10 degree filing angle for you to follow, and TBH its no harsder than any other chain, you just need to have a different mindset , as you tend to find youy hand disobeying your brain and creeping back to that 30ish degree angle....:blushing:

i use the oregon version of the on the bar one, i find it ok, but the chain lifts to the side as you sharpen, and makes it awkward to get a good proper sharpen on it, you can turn the files easily, and i find it quicker than other ways. It doesnt give as accurate a sharpen as the bench mounted 240v grinder though. But that stihl bench mounted one is in the middle and looks fancy.

My only squabble about it is that it needs to hold the chain still for it to sharpen well and give a good edge on it, the only ways i can do that is by tightening the side screws up to pin the chain up each time i do a cutter which would take ages or tighten the chain up real tight to pull it into the bar and make it stiffer.