Is Brexit Over ?.

GarethM

I don’t think there is any chance of us rejoining the EU, these politicians are just looking for a way to make the shit show work.

Being as it has been largely an unmitigated disaster, with very little of the benefits promised being delivered, regaining control of our borders, the amazing trade deals with the US that failed to materialise etc etc.

I can see why the UK wants to negotiate better terms with its biggest trading partner, it would be dumb not to.

I am back in the UK for October and early November, I leave the day before the EU finally implements the hard border, I can only imagine the cluster**************** of delays and loss of trade that this will cause. 

Cue newspaper headlines

“ Bullying EU picking on  poor little UK”. 
“Bullying Eu trying to force us to rejoin”

“It’s all the fault of the French”

• Like 4

I don't know, currently Sue Gray is purging the civil service for anything other than her yes men so things will just veer more towards EU membership yet again.

A beneficial negotiation is advantageous to both sides, labour couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag without a conference to decide the brand of tea.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I don't know, currently Sue Gray is purging the civil service for anything other than her yes men so things will just veer more towards EU membership yet again.

A beneficial negotiation is advantageous to both sides, labour couldn't negotiate themselves out of a paper bag without a conference to decide the brand of tea.

Out of interest Gareth, as a farmer, has Brexit made any difference to your life, pros or cons, anything promised and not delivered, anything unexpected come out of it?

I'm too small acreage wise to bother for any grants or funding, I wouldn't say no but it always comes with stipulations & hand tying so just muddle along and do what I think is best environmental wise.

I do import electrical equipment regularly which is just a PITA with paperwork, whilst it works once we got the hand of it.

Customs staff do seem to enjoy being slow, pre Brexit it just zoomed through.

I hardly buy anything from the UK now unless i have it delivered to my UK address and bring it back with me. 
Some UK companies I’ve used for years simply don’t ship to the EU due to customs paperwork and delays, or If they do I incur import duty which makes it too expensive. 
There are a few exceptions, Screwfix France can often be cheaper than the UK site, and Chainsawbars are still top draw performers. 

• Like 1

It's mostly to do with the fines, from my experience importing stuff.

They can't even load it onto a vehicle as if it fails the whole HGV load just gets impounded until it's rectified and you can't part unload.

One of my first shipments after Brexit sat on a lorry for 2/3 weeks because of another person's shipment, with 20/30 other customers similarly moaning to DHL.

11 minutes ago, Steven P said:

The UK population is swinging towards closer ties with the EU so perhaps the politicians should continue to respect the 'will of the people', stop being 'anti-democratic' and govern according to our wishes?

Ah lefty logic, or just keep voting until you give us the result we wish to hear ?.

• Like 1