24" Firewood Bar

Aled Hughes

For firewood I'm running a 45cm (18") and 63cm (25") on a 77cc saw but a 50cm (20") bar would probably be more useful most of the time, for 562 size saw running a 40cm (16") bar which works well and for small roundwood (7-14cm TD) running a 32cm bar (13") on a 42cc saw as easy on the back if need to cut with chainsaw but normally cut into 2-3m lengths and process with circular saw. It all depends what firewood dia cutting mostly, we get a fair bit of 40-50cm dia firewood as well as some small roundwood at times, it's always going to be a compromise but I like to run the smallest bar which will do the job as less to sharpen and lighter.

• Like 1

All those bars are very good. I do like my sugi bars but I'm liking tsumura bars at the moment. I've got some GB bars but In my experience they chip a bit.  Run some Oregon 73jxl on it. I've never gone down to .50 on 3/8 so I can't tell you if it is any good. I run a 24 on my 572 and it's great. 

• Like 1

Avoid GB like the plague imo. Tips are horrendous. Had one blow after one chain, replaced it and it has chipped.

I then got it stuck in a branch and I’ve bent the tip which is my fault. 

100 percent Tsu Mura or Husqvarna X Tough Light. Got loads of chains through mine until the tips went. Took a lot of proper abuse before hand though… 

Oregon are good, can replace the tips with the cheap Chinese ones for 9-11 quid when they do finally go. (Done it with a few, and I’ve put 3-4 chains through one tip and it’s looking pretty grim now).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aled Hughes said:

Ok, was thinking of something between the 18" on my 562 and 28" on my 394. 

Ah even better if you have a longer bar and powerful saw to use when you occasionally need it.  Sorry I was a bit brief with my suggestion of 20" bar.  A lot of this is personal choice and it depends what you cut.  I cut a lot of hardwood and dislike underpowered combinations (a long bar given the power of the saw) and try to get the cutting done with the shortest bar possible.  Of your list I've only used husky and oregon bars - both fine.

• Like 1