Pyramid log stacking

Joy Yeomans

Log Barron,

Where/how do you store your logs once they been cut and split? I presume the wood in the picture was felled a while ago?

I've got a fair amount of timber on the ground now from coppicing hedge rows etc, i need to collect it all, cut it and split and then store for next year, but not quite sure how to store as yet.

we mostly cut into vented drying nets 1 cubic metre size, stack on a pallet and stack 3 high in the open air - open to the drying wind, rain goes through the net and doesnt stick on the logs and they air dry in about 4 months

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont supposeyou have any pics do you? I have 2 ideas of how I may store my logs, I have access to loads of 1 ton potato bags, these are vented to stop the potatoes going bad and other idea is to build large square cages out of the mesh panels you see around building sites. Thats how I built my dog run with them panels and I think they'd work well for me.

Dont supposeyou have any pics do you? I have 2 ideas of how I may store my logs, I have access to loads of 1 ton potato bags, these are vented to stop the potatoes going bad and other idea is to build large square cages out of the mesh panels you see around building sites. Thats how I built my dog run with them panels and I think they'd work well for me.

heres a few pics, eac net is 1 cubic metre, we tip two into our pickup and so all the loads are the same, each one is filled by holding open by the loadall and then given a good shake by the loadall to make sure the bags are full the same, dry out well, each row is about 3' apart in the direction of the prevailing wind to aid drying, and they are stacked on old pallets, dry off in 4-6 months .

100_1682.jpg.f60dbf0a42f384d743eb724467eb0af5.jpg

100_1680.jpg.bd45ea1488741ba6999578fc81ce684b.jpg

Edited by Joy Yeomans

Logbaron do you cover the vented bags whilst seasoning?

no - wouldnt have enought tarps - we have 100s of these outside each year, any rain ingress comes out of the nets and the wind dries them off - we bring 20-30 in at a time to the shed before delivery if wet weather forecast for a day or two just ot make doubly sure the customer receives bone dry logs, but sometimes its a waste of time as you tip them out onto their drive as reque:confused1:sted and they then leave them there for weeks in a heap sometimes -

when they are dry we moisture meter them, split some in half from the middle of each bag, if they do get wet, its only ever on the outside anyway

i would just add - we use bag supplies ltd - maurice wilsons - drying net bags, have tried cheaper inferiorones and they dont last, we use ours over and over again and out of 200 that get reused probably several times a year only had one rip, and that was probably because it started to snag on a hedge

Edited by Joy Yeomans

i would just add - we use bag supplies ltd - maurice wilsons - drying net bags, have tried cheaper inferiorones and they dont last, we use ours over and over again and out of 200 that get reused probably several times a year only had one rip, and that was probably because it started to snag on a hedge

Thats where I get my bags from but I am stacking in blocks of 24 and then covering with tarp .. hope the wind gets to the middle ones :confused1:

20100103_9.jpg.5d0efbcce8aee83ac2982bddd19cf6ae.jpg

20100103_8.jpg.7cf1dee999313e0d7141bfc2fc203ac9.jpg