Slabs for sale

Hi everyone.

We have a variety of slabs for sale in varying lengths and widths. Species range from Beech(spalted and non spalted), Cedar, Oak, Yew, Cherry and Pine. We can supply individually or in bulk. If anyone is interested please do not hesitate to get in contact.

We are also looking for other places to distribute this so if anyone has any leads, that would be most helpful. 

1 hour ago, Tree Top Arborists said:

Hi everyone.

We have a variety of slabs for sale in varying lengths and widths. Species range from Beech(spalted and non spalted), Cedar, Oak, Yew, Cherry and Pine. We can supply individually or in bulk. If anyone is interested please do not hesitate to get in contact.

We are also looking for other places to distribute this so if anyone has any leads, that would be most helpful. 

Why don’t you share some photos so people can see what you have?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tree Top Arborists said:

Hi everyone.

2 posts in 2 years see you in 2026 🤣

Thanks for replying guys. 

I am waiting on some pictures to upload of some of the bits. There currently isn't a website as this is about generating interest for a client of ours. We manage a small woodland for them and they have a lot of timber that we have milled a small percentage of.

I am quite new to milling side of things and couldn't find a forum topic that matched what I was looking for so, created a new one to see if there was any interest at all. Is there? If so, where are people based? What kind of prices do you pay for slabs? I assume rough cut is the cheapest? Then if it's dried or dried and planed a lot more? If so by how much?

I am genuinely looking for advice on all aspects of milling and the selling process. Any help would be much appreciated and if not, thank you for your time.

• Thanks 1

Which country are they in? One of my pet hates on forums is people not giving their location, so you could be in Ecuador for all I know, and I know even less about the timber market there than I do about the UK market.

Personally the only slabs I've sold went directly to a furniture maker I already knew.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Tree Top Arborists said:

Here are some pictures of some of the spalted Beech

IMG-20231207-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20231207-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20231207-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231207-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20231207-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20231207-WA0004.jpg

Good to see some pictures.  Personally I price by the cubic foot, but many people do not.  My prices vary from about £30 per cubic foot to £60 plus VAT.  

You are correct about value being higher if dried.  Or to be more accurate you will struggle to find buyers if not dried.  All the slabs I sell are dry.  After all, not many people want to buy a slab for use in two or three years.  Also if they know what they are doing they will understand that a slab may well look lovely when freshly cut, but when dry it is likely to cup, distort and split, so may end up as firewood.

So my advice (as someone who has sold many slabs over many years) is put them to dry thoroughly and then advertise them with good photos.  Ideally when they are dry get at least one side planed or sanded to show the grain and clean it; otherwise they just look mucky and you can't see the grain.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tree Top Arborists said:

Thank you again for replying guys.

The slabs are based in Buckinghamshire at the moment.

I appreciate the help with everything. That makes a lot of sense. I assume kiln dried is the preferenece for expediance but is that the best way forward?

Ideally to kiln dry timber for interior joinery you air dry it fist, and then finish it off in a kiln.

Now it is possible to kiln dry straight from freshly sawn, and a lot depends on the species and thickness.  I have never tried it with beech, but maybe some Arbtalkers have.  The risk is if you dry it slowly (say three months) the cost of kilning may be so high it is just not worth it.  Or if you try and dry it quickly the timber will distort and crack badly and even honeycomb inside.  Softwoods usually are a lot easier to dry quickly.  The denser really hard timbers (especially oak) take a long time to dry.