Manou

Hi all,

I've been rock climbing for the past couple of years and now need a change in careers. I was looking at getting into tree work but had a bunch of questions about it all. I'm also doing my IRATA separately to this. I'm based in the EU but not in Germany itself.

I know I've asked a lot but any answers woule be appreciated?

What certifications and requirements to work as an arborist in Germany?

I'm learning German but I'm not far along. How much of a problem is this?

Is most arborist work freelance work?

Do I need to have my own equipment? If so, what equipment is that?

What is the general pay range?

Does anyone have any company to direct me to once I've done the qualifications?

Any other advice or pieces of guidance?

Thanks!

Edited by Manou
typos

1 hour ago, rapalaman said:

There have been a few posts about working in Germany over the years - put it in the search and some of your questions will be answered. Seems to be mainly employed roles from memory 👍

I've read some but I haven't found anything about the qualifications needed, or equipment needed, due example. They're also quite dated (2016) so things might be different now. Still, I'll dig a bit in case I've missed some!

There was a post last August to recruit a climber near Hamburg - maybe contact them for advice as they’re more likely to know what is required, advantageous etc? 
some have posted that speaking German isn’t necessary but course it helps to speak some of the language whichever country you go to.

Viel Gluck 👍

• Thanks 1

Beyond courses in chainsaw use and tree climbing, the European Tree Worker qualification seems fairly standard for freelance arborists

WWW.EAC-ARBORICULTURE.COM

Trees are the largest and longest living organisms on earth. Trees are the most important living things for our...

I would also look to get to the Deutsche Baumflegetage in Augsburg at the end of April. Trade fair day tickets are like €25 and there will be lots of people to network with and ask questions if. Deutsche Bahn are also offering subsidized tickets to the event from anywhere in Germany.

• Like 1