Professional grade traditional rear handle saw that is under 10lbs powerhead weight? Stihl? Husq?

FlyFishn

12 hours ago, Brushcutter said:

I would recommend the 540xp. Light nimble and has lots of power for a 40cc saw. I think if you were to get it ported it would be ridiculous. Stock it comes with the 3/8p 1.3mm guage but has the option of running .3251.1mm guage which is the same as it's battery counterpart which may make it a little faster in the cut.

I really like mine I as it's so light and nimble. I use it on stuff that really took big for it but it works. The only thing is the chain tensioner is a little weak if someone gets it stuck and gets to pull it out 

IMG_20240317_192717_047.jpg

Not seen a 540 back handle before. I do like my T540 a lot, but wonder if it's worth having the 540 over a 550?

1 hour ago, Trailoftears said:

Slightly over your desired cc but pro-level range would be the stihl ms 241 c-m coming in at 4.5 kg/2.5kw/42cc odd ,but I'm not sure thats 'a thing'/available in the U.S. market any more?

The 241 is a really nice saw. I came very close to buying a new one, but hesitated and ended up with a used 550 instead. All things considered i think the 550 was a better choice (for me, at the time.) for the size/weight. But for a 40cc saw that 241 is hard to beat.

20 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Not seen a 540 back handle before. I do like my T540 a lot, but wonder if it's worth having the 540 over a 550?

I ordered one ages ago and one day it just turned up. I really wanted a 339xp but I never got one and they go for silly money second hand so I knew I had to get in at the begining on this as husky didn't make that many 339. 

540 Vs 550. They do different things well. The 550 is a shedding machine with it's rev boost and will cut big stuff well. It's my go to saw 

The 540 is light, really light and for the weight it is very powerful. The ergonomics are great it's no 550 but it's good because it weights nothing. I like the fact it doesn't scream like a 550 it's a little tamer on the throttle response but when you want power it is there. Works well in the MEWP and on the forest floor. It's a great little saw for coppicing and small felling.

I think I payed 620 quid for it so it was fairly cheap for a provisional saw. And I really do rate it...

• Like 2