Unknown hedge cutter

Yep,that resonates quite strongly with me of kawasaki powered/badged engines from a few years ago both with single and double sided blade sets.If so,its worth a bit of effort to get back into service.Showing my vintage now,but there used to be loads of westmac 2/stuff about all with kawi engines,generally,they were all good hard working rigs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Do you have an image of the carb purge/charge bulb?I remember them as a horizontally placed item rather than the now usual vertical top-down bulb in most m/c these days.

I'll try to remember to take more pictures tomorrow

If I recollect correctly,the kawi  push/purge bulbs were black horizontal inline-usually UNDER the carb area-NO transparent bulbs involved.Also-probably not that useful,but check out the exhaust-they used to put the now de riguer spark screen arrestor which if heavily plugged/blocked will cause you all sorts of frustrating issues.

It's a fairly newish generic chinese product. Marketed under various brand names such as, Mitox,

For example:

MITOX.CO.UK

The 60D is a powerful, lightweight, double sided hedge trimmer, with a reliable 25.4cc engine and 68cm double reciprocating...

Same machines were also marketed under the mountfield, gardencare and cobra brand names. (and homelite- as mentioned above) Wouldn't spend much money or time on it.....they never ran right when new....constantly needed the mix adjusting...and that's if the carb wasn't a fixed jet, which a lot were. Remember selling them for £149 (ish) and that wasn't long ago, so not great money.

Edited by pleasant

48 minutes ago, pleasant said:

It's a fairly newish generic chinese product. Marketed under various brand names such as, Mitox,

For example:

MITOX.CO.UK

The 60D is a powerful, lightweight, double sided hedge trimmer, with a reliable 25.4cc engine and 68cm double reciprocating...

Same machines were also marketed under the mountfield, gardencare and cobra brand names. (and homelite- as mentioned above) Wouldn't spend much money or time on it.....they never ran right when new....constantly needed the mix adjusting...and that's if the carb wasn't a fixed jet, which a lot were. Remember selling them for £149 (ish) and that wasn't long ago, so not great money.

Thanks, you've nailed it. From the faded plastic I thought it was much older.

If your carb has mixture adjustment (like I said most didn't) then it will be in one of two places. Look at the top of the carb and note the flat black plastic part that moves as you apply the throttle. It will have what looks like a rivet which attaches it to the top of the carb. There will be a very small plastic plug in the top which can be removed with a pointy blade of very small screwdriver. If it has this plug, then it's good news as when removed look inside the brass part that is now exposed and you should see a very small slot for a very narrow bladed screwdriver. If you rotate this gently anti clockwise it will allow more fuel through and thus negating any blockages within the carb, which it would appear you currently have. If there is no small plastic plug, but instead there is some sort of sealer gunk in the hole then forget it as there is no adjustment in that area. Now look at the front side of the carb- the side facing towards the blades and on that side you may see a small 'plug' of a darker metal than the light alloy of the main body of the carb. Probably around 4mm in diameter. If you have, look closely at it and you should see a notch in one small area of this round plug. If it has, then this is your mix adjuster and you will need a 'pacman' type adjuster screwdriver for a couple of quid. Again once you have applied the screwdriver so the corresponding lug in the end of the screwdriver locks into the notch on the adjuster gently turn anticlockwise.

If it has neither.....then just get a new carb of the bay for about £12.00

....or just do that anyway!

• Like 1