Bandsaw blade cooling.

Dilz

So my  "Shandong Honest Machine Company" saw mill I accidentally bought at auction  (Same as Kellfri electric saw mill)  is almost ready for its first logs.  Just waiting on some decent ripper blades to replace the one it came with which I can tell is made out of old baked bean cans.

The instructions are a bit lacking and more so my knowledge.  

It has a water tank with a drip meant for cooling the blade. My question is - Is this supposed to drip water onto the blade before or after the cut - makes more sense for it to be cooling  after the cut but just want to check. 

It says just use water but should I consider using anything else? 

Also - when the mill is not in use between  the days / weeks in-between milling days  should I slacken off the blade tension a little? 

Yes slacken the blade right off  if not in use. The drip is not so much for cooling  ( if all is well the blade should be cool to the touch after a cut) as  cleaning the blade/rollers. This topic is so subjective 🤷‍♂️before the cut after the roller is what I go with and use a mix of rtf cleaner and water but like I say it’s very much down to personal choice and often as not the type of timber you are cutting. The best set ups ie cooks have diesel ( steel crowned wheels) wipe systems both sides. A clean blade is a happy 😃 blade for sure. I keep a squirty bottle of neat rtf cleaner to hand too if things need a good blast. 

• Like 3