NPTC refreshing

Unfortunately, the litmus test for the requirement of refreshers is an incident/ accident and then the HSE and insurance company’s will make their thoughts known on whether it was required or not. It’s all part of the trials and tribulations of trying to operate with hands tied behind our backs?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

That’s the thing Tom, the refresher courses are all 2 days and £500 each.

That’s a lot of time and a lot of money.

And yes, I know you can upskill and refresh tickets that way, but not forever.

It stinks of revenue generation to me.

No reason why an independent assessor couldn’t come to a site and ‘refresh’ say 4 already qualified, experienced guys for £150 each.

People would buy into that, rather than the current bullshit.

IMG_9212.png

They are not all 2 days and £500 though Mark, it depends on the course and the candidate numbers.
It depends on who you know and what you require. 
I would regularly turn up at your forestry cutting site and do a Felling +F refresher for up to 4 guys. 
£150 per man plus £30 registration fee, we are cutting your wood so that could be offset against your cost I.e less production down time.

Hardly breaking the bank for five clear years without having do anything else?

We would cover the main cuts, set up some dodgy scenarios, discuss the dangers, make a plan and act on it. 
If all goes well I would demonstrate some cuts they may not have seen, bring out and use some kit they may not be familiar with, powered winches and rattle wedges etc, no one leaves one of my courses learning nothing.

I think people need to start doing a bit of research before they book onto refresher courses.
Don’t book a course with the local Arb colleges if your a handcutter then complain that you didn’t learn anything, then complain about it on Arbtalk,this should be pretty obvious to you before hand.

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I think it will have to be a requirement not a recommendation for me to part with hard earned and days off .

I also have not gained anything from previous refreshment othe than smoking while refuling does constitute a fail ...🤪

The bloke didn't give a sh1t ... He still cuts and is very good but hey it is what it is.

It's a tough man's job and any tree cutter worth it is always going to be up to date with regular work 

54 minutes ago, Botty Cough said:

Well I think it will have to be a requirement not a recommendation for me to part with hard earned and days off .

I also have not gained anything from previous refreshment othe than smoking while refuling does constitute a fail ...🤪

The bloke didn't give a sh1t ... He still cuts and is very good but hey it is what it is.

It's a tough man's job and any tree cutter worth it is always going to be up to date with regular work 

Yet on another thread you are making a pretty good argument for refresher training with your lack of the basic knowledge as to why we don’t run saws with outboard clutches without the bar and side cases attached. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Yet on another thread you are making a pretty good argument for refresher training with your lack of the basic knowledge as to why we don’t run saws with outboard clutches without the bar and side cases attached. 

Perfectly safe to run a saw without the bar attached.

It's common place in machinery workshops without issue.

I think it's you that needs retraining.... Possibly as a waste collection engineer......

1 hour ago, Botty Cough said:

Perfectly safe to run a saw without the bar attached.

It's common place in machinery workshops without issue.

I think it's you that needs retraining.... Possibly as a waste collection engineer......

Bar yes, side cover no.

You clearly haven’t got a clue what you are talking about. If you want to talk bollocks on loads of threads, you could try Arbtalk on FB. There you will find loads of bell ends with lots of opinion backed up with very little knowledge, I think you will fit right in. 👍

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

Bar yes, side cover no.

You clearly haven’t got a clue what you are talking about. If you want to talk bollocks on loads of threads, you could try Arbtalk on FB. There you will find loads of bell ends with lots of opinion backed up with very little knowledge, I think you will fit right in. 👍

I never said running the saw without the side cover but without bar and chain is acceptable.

Pop off now fella and try some refreshing employment as a collection engineer...🤪😁👍

32 minutes ago, Botty Cough said:

I never said running the saw without the side cover but without bar and chain is acceptable.

Pop off now fella and try some refreshing employment as a collection engineer...🤪😁👍

ADW, Stubby, Spud, myself and others have put you straight about not running a saw with an outboard clutch without the side cover on, the result of doing this has been explained to you yet you still think you are right, your not. 
Remind me again who the person asking for advice on why his saw is leaking is? 
Time for some refresher training on saw maintenance I think👍.

21 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

ADW, Stubby, Spud, myself and others have put you straight about not running a saw with an outboard clutch without the side cover on, the result of doing this has been explained to you yet you still think you are right, your not. 
Remind me again who the person asking for advice on why his saw is leaking is? 
Time for some refresher training on saw maintenance I think👍.

Read the original post ... Then have a cup of tea .... Then go off and retrain as a waste operation engineer..

It's quite easy 👍