Areal rescue

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Hamma do you have a working title for your aerial rescue thing? might help to keep it relevant or on thread.

Luv the way youv'e managed to combine college work with spending time on here, I wondered how you ever got any of your degree work done :biggrin:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamma do you have a working title for your aerial rescue thing? might help to keep it relevant or on thread.

Luv the way youv'e managed to combine college work with spending time on here, I wondered how you ever got any of your degree work done :biggrin:

I am well behind due to my a being a bit out of my depth, b being on here! and c wondering if I should continue or be more realistic and go backward to the tech cert!

I thought I was well read, till I started it!

Don't go to the HND, myerscough. I did the first year and it had such an unbelievable workload, lots at degree level, that I swapped to a degree in environmental science, which was no easier.

Stick it out though, your fungus work shows that you can do it, don't put the academics on a pedestal, just do your own thing dude.

There you go - I've really derailed you now, Paul the derailer:biggrin:

Don't go to the HND, myerscough. I did the first year and it had such an unbelievable workload, lots at degree level, that I swapped to a degree in environmental science, which was no easier.

Stick it out though, your fungus work shows that you can do it, don't put the academics on a pedestal, just do your own thing dude.

There you go - I've really derailed you now, Paul the derailer:biggrin:

I can do it yes, but maybe not on this timescale, I have a lot to pick up from scratch, makes it hard to keep up on deadlines.

Whatever, pass or getting kicked off I will learn a lot I guess.:thumbup:

Cheers for the explanation:thumbup1:

I see its more down to roofers,scaffolders,construction etc than purely down to tree work which I thought it was.

Although I would have liked to have been exempt though:001_smile:

Everything thats costs does have an impact on my business no matter how small the cost is. We have all had the "It's only £20 a week for a new XXXX, surely thats affordably" Well it probably is just like everything else I have to pay for but when it all adds up!

A lot of us are small 2/3 man bands and having to have a groundie trained up, buy all the necessary climbing gear,get it LOLER'D every 6 months(:blushing:) plus probably the most important bit having them train and re train all the time to make sure that they have a least a little bit of speed about them does seem to cost a bit and not really benefit me enough.

I would think that if you need to be rescued due to a serious injury, major bleed or suffocation problem then it would have to be a very very good/quick rescuer to take charge of the situation, get theie gear on, get to you and rescue you within say 5 minutes or so by which time you are probably going to be dead tbh.

I think my resources and time can be spent better elsewhere.

Although since I am a climber and have the ticket CSnot sure did it that many years ago and I am always on site when others are climbing my moaning doesnt really matter I suppose. :thumbup:

Hi Mestereh,

Apologies for delay in responding but I've been unable to access the site over the weekend due to IT problems (as with some others.)

Just a quickie, you mention "plus probably the most important bit having them train and re train all the time"...this is not the case. Yes, practice and re-practice BUT not 'train & re-train' which would be very costly (£s).

And 'yes' the W@H Regs, were principally aimed at the construction etc. industries BUT as we work at height too we're equally affected.

Cheers..

Paul

Not of any benefit to me, I want a labourer on a labourers wage, not a climber (who doesn't climb) on a climbers wage.

I do take your point re W@H.

Hi 'Skyhuck',

That's a fair point, succinct and a reminder of the 'real world'...thanks!

I guess it's all 'well and good' me spouting on what the legislation tells us we should do but you're at the sharp end, so to speak, and counting the pennies.

Don't really know what to say other than if you can't comply, and you don't see benefit in changin your business operation to do so, then please be sure that labourer has 'ready' access to a very long ladder...just in case!

Cheers..

Paul

Theres always the 3 cut felling i mean rescue technique........:001_tt2: I would say that we all should spend some time being prepaired for such a incident but realisticly we all put it off to get on with the job to get home. Most companys don't want to spend time and money getting you to refresh a rescue, although they should. At the end of the day its one of those things you should do but never get round to it often or at all, like checking tyres, oil, rear lights. Thats just my opinion tho and im sure some companys have allocated time frames for this. But i have worked for 2 Arb approved contractors 5 years at each and they never set aside time for this.

Cheers 'Targettrees'...point taken on board.

It is something we request to see evidence of, i.e. a note in the managers diary, but clearly we need to speak to the 'guys on the ground' (kinda) to find out for real. Good stuff...thanks!

Paul

Good post paul

nice to have you and your knowledge to share

although i expect they will try to beat you down:sneaky2:

Thanks Bob,

NOT a problem 'beating me down' BUT I might be the easy option, which is fine, the HSE or worse 'the cororner'(?) might be harder to beat (sorry, very pessimistic tone BUT they'll see it as "black & white" as that.)

On this one 'guys' (generically) I have to say it's one aspect of the legislation I believe we should heed and work with to the best of our ability.

Cheers..

Paul

My next paragraph may be a bit of a derailment so sorry hama. My first post being I hope relevant as it was my view on aerial rescue / H&S. In that its expensive to introduce it properly.

Whilst taking your point paul that the W@H regs are not of the AA's making, and by extension any existing regs have to be box ticked when you are dishing out AA approval.

My reason for mentioning the AA in my previous post is that I feel our H&S obsessed work culture is getting in the way of just working or doing the job.

We need a sticker on our trucks that says we do good tree work, not one that says we promise not to hurt ourselves whilst doing work to your tree which is not regulated by any industry body.

I am asking for a shift of emphasis within your criteria from H&S to quality of treework.

People are saying its difficult to enforce, but I can think of a few ways of moveing in that direction. How about arranged site visits, which are easier than surprise ones to arrange.

Anyway, perhaps this angle of things is for another thread

Sorry to 'hog', this is like the AA Teccie roadshow but I don't want not to reply to someone who has taken the time to post..thanks!

Whilst I wholly see your point (and I really do), AND I acknowledge that during the first round of AC reassessments an awful lot of emphasis was placed on H&S (coz a lot came in and some older stuff we'd only just figured out what to do with, LOLER / PUWER being good examples), and in some instances perhaps at the expense of work quality audits, it is nonetheless important AND, now combined with the CHAS scheme, it does potentially open more doors (often doors to the 'H&S bods' office in the first instance).

The worrying thing too is that some clients seem prepared to accept 'sub-standard' work in the (false economy, IMO) interest of cost cutting. Education?

However, "good treework & work quality" is still very much core to the AC status (sharp intake of breath I can hear?) and this is emphasised during the assessment/reassessment process AND, I sincerely hope, we've got the balance better in terms of paperwork 'v' operations. That said whilst we require the completed works examples on the day to be, at least, good and ideally better (exemplary), we have very little control over hwat happens thereafter and much is placed on trust and the role of the nominated manager in auditing and controlling work standards AND of course the client role, particularly at the LA level, which we are currently fostering and developing with NATO.

You know I WHOLLY ACKNOWLEDGE it's often the 'little guy' (so to speak) who does the best work, taking pride in the job, in the firm and what they do, how they present themselves etc. because they have a vested interest in so doing and it's often themselves doing the work. I firmly believe that 'quality mark' on the side of the van which you mention is available we just somehow have to convince you of the same and make the route to accreditation more accessible/do-able.

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi Mestereh,

Apologies for delay in responding but I've been unable to access the site over the weekend due to IT problems (as with some others.)

Just a quickie, you mention "plus probably the most important bit having them train and re train all the time"...this is not the case. Yes, practice and re-practice BUT not 'train & re-train' which would be very costly (£s).

And 'yes' the W@H Regs, were principally aimed at the construction etc. industries BUT as we work at height too we're equally affected.

Cheers..

Paul

No worries about any delays in replying I think we all appreciate the fact that you do reply and provide info:thumbup1:

Your right I should have said practice since thats what I meant and not training tbh:blushing:

I just see it that a 'groundie' with an ariel ticket would need an awful lot of regular practice to be effective in a emergency situation.

I wouldnt like to rely on me rescuing me tbh, if you understand. :001_smile:

Maybe we should all have a MEWP on site standing by just in case:001_tongue:

[ATTACH]30921[/ATTACH]