6 day notification job

John Shutler

John, are they rhizomorphs (bootlaces) in the last shot?

If so, then Armillaria spp would be the obvious Id for the desicated shrooms in pic 6

But "live" Oak is noted as being resistant to Armilaria by FC :confused1:

I'm feeling stupid sitting here, but gonna ask anyways........is it Ash?

Can't really make out the buds from the shots, and I'm having a senior moment with the bark :blushing:

Not sure at all what the fb is up by the branch tear out on pic 7, if Ash could be old Innonotus hispidus.

If Oak then no idea.

Just a thought, if the tree turns out to be a Monkey puzzle, then I'm in real trouble, bring in the stretcher :001_tongue:

John, are they rhizomorphs (bootlaces) in the last shot?

If so, then Armillaria spp would be the obvious Id for the desicated shrooms in pic 6

But "live" Oak is noted as being resistant to Armilaria by FC :confused1:

I'm feeling stupid sitting here, but gonna ask anyways........is it Ash?

Can't really make out the buds from the shots, and I'm having a senior moment with the bark :blushing:

Not sure at all what the fb is up by the branch tear out on pic 7, if Ash could be old Innonotus hispidus.

If Oak then no idea.

Just a thought, if the tree turns out to be a Monkey puzzle, then I'm in real trouble, bring in the stretcher :001_tongue:

im doubting myself now:sneaky2:

its well dead

i was wondering what the stuff 8-10 metres up was as well

its definately oak

Hi John, great 'piccies'!

Can't comment on timber/milling value as I wouldn't have the 'foggyest' I'm afraid but a coupla of other pointers which are hopefully useful....ish!

Firstly the 'recommendation' to notify the LPA (Local PLanning Authority, the formal speak for the Council's planning/tree dept.) is, I believe '5' and not 6 days and remember the legislation works 'a*se about face' here, in that you're (technically) guilty until you prove yourself innocent....not often contested BUT you must be sure to have your defence in place n I reckon your photo's do that. Remember also, thereafter, there is an automatic 'duty' to replace the tree unless agreed and dispensed with by the LPA (get it in writing/email.)

In terms of what's happening on um I'll venture an opinion in that I too reckon the fungi are old 'mushy' toadstools of Honey Fungus (Armellaria mellia) doin what it does, i.e killin off weak trees, and the white stuff could either be the white mycelial sheet just under the bark, often associated with HF, or 'frass' from the beetles, i.e. the holes...are they the exit holes of Agrillis (a beetle/borer)???....right time to shoot that AA bloke down now eh (it's my best guess remember!)

Cheers..

Paul

Remember also, thereafter, there is an automatic 'duty' to replace the tree unless agreed and dispensed with by the LPA (get it in writing/email.)

This is true and often forgotton or ignored (even by LPAs). It applies only to exempted CA trees as well as unathourised works by virtue of s213 of the TCPA 1990 but places the duty on the landowner (and any future landowners)not the contractor - so definately something to mention to your client.

Furthermore, the replacement is required to be of an appropriate size and species and is to be planted as soon as is reasonably possible. Another reason to let the client deal with discharging the duty... :D

(I have painful memories of explaining for an hour why a dig your own christmas tree was not a suitable replacement even if it did survive.)