Previously coppiced hedge

BigRon

Intrigued to know what the lads/ladies doing it full time would do.

Laying a hedge today, 100% hawthorn but coppiced 15+ years ago so big thick stool, multi stems and way up off the ground.

I’ve saved what I can do, but it’s a hard nasty hedge. 

Would you price it high, or just tell the landowner it needs re coppicing to ground level?

Cheers!

Lowest coppice stool is about 18 inch off the ground, so multi stemmed above that and tall!

Definitely more productive to re coppice properly but we’ve been asked to lay it so we shall try!
Not following any particular style, it may get some stakes in it to secure pleachers. 
Cheers

I've just done a Devon style hedge laying course and the section that I was working on had been layed high before about 18" off the ground, so after much cursing and cutting and a lot of instruction we did manage to relay back down to ground level but it took a lot of time and work to get it there.

I think that's much more than 15 years since it was last cut.

Interested to know where in the country, the Devon boys would love to have a go at it as long as they had a digger to throw the bank up afterwards.

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear but at least you will rejuvenate it and have a great sense of achievement when you finish!