How old is too old

Booster

33 minutes ago, JAG63 said:

I did the same at 55 when they kicked me out. Got a good few years climbing in before the body finally stopped me doing it full time. Now been just over a year doing inspections/surveying for the same people and finally called a halt to doing the emergency works call outs earlier this year. Still rather be climbing but have to make do with the odd day on personal stuff.

Give it a try, I wasn't as fast in the tree as some of the younger guys but could give them a hiding on the ground.

T

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

As I allude to above, a lot of arb types are disorganised or just really busy. Most firms would benefit from someone who can be at the yard early doing all the admin that hippy climbers and brain-dead groundsmen can’t be bothered with at the end of the previous day. Having all the kit ready, running trailers of waste and machines around, nipping to a shop to get a chain etc is a seriously useful role. Especially if you can turn up late to a big job and monster into a daunting cleanup with fresh legs. That sort of thing brings morale up and pushes on those who are flagging.

56 is fine if I’ve judged you right. Post a picture of yourself actually. Extra points for a black stripe across the eyes. 

AHHP

Thanks for your advice. I'll save you from the grim fot .. sounds like I might fit in just need to get my head down and get on with it.. thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts 

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

The problem with forces types running a firm is the imbalance of discipline between them and the average freelancer. They get fed up with people who don’t turn up and who they can’t scream at as a punishment. I know more who have moved onto something else after a few years than who have stuck at it.

I'm not a screamer ..but nothing wrong with standards ..all fair comment though 

You’re too old to make it purely as a climber.

That’s a simple fact.

As others have said though, there’s a lot more to this game.

You can climb, absolutely, but not 8 hours 5 days a week.

If you manage your expectations you could be a real asset.

Driving and machine skills count for a lot, as does the ability to be punctual, reliable, polite, and on a lot of jobs just purely get stuck in.

Don’t start your own company though if you don’t know your oak from your elbow.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

What are you doing for work now and how much do you need per month?

Even if you got a slot tomorrow and climbed every day for four years,you would be 60 competing against 25 year old with the same experience level.

If you really want into the industry,get your HGV and try for driver/ groundy.

I had an applicant once who was ex RN,he just couldn't understand thatdespite all his courses,age,experience etc that he was still only worth minimum because that's all I could have gotten from him for years.

13 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

You’re too old to make it purely as a climber.

That’s a simple fact.

As others have said though, there’s a lot more to this game.

You can climb, absolutely, but not 8 hours 5 days a week.

If you manage your expectations you could be a real asset.

Driving and machine skills count for a lot, as does the ability to be punctual, reliable, polite, and on a lot of jobs just purely get stuck in.

Don’t start your own company though if you don’t know your oak from your elbow.

the ability to be punctual, reliable, polite, and on a lot of jobs just purely get stuck in. 

Agreed...the getting stuck in is absolutely what I love 

• Like 1