Freelance in forestry

Donnie

Me and my friend at work where on about doing this today and wondering what it would take to work directly as a self employed cutter for Tilhill/Commision etc jobbing around the lot.

We are only general woodcutters/shown in my video blog on here but would be looking to start off small as there is lots of larch jobs going around which are all cut to waste etc. 

I know ideally we would need a tractor and timber trailer to get further ahead, but not keen on buying something like that until the opportunity arrives for full time work with it. 

If anyone has ever done this in Scotland before it'd be nice to hear how you done it, for in the future as I'd like to branch out within time and get my own thing going and branching out to estate work etc.

I've heard of people using Forest Direct but not entirely sure how that goes either. 

• Like 2

I do the vast majority of my cutting work as a self-employed/freelance cutter. Tend to avoid working for the likes of FLS/Tillhill/Euroclowns and go direct to the smaller (but still not insignificant) semi local contractors. Generally less faffage and paperwork with those lads than the big boys. Not a notable difference in the day rates. 

Aside from that I'll work directly for local estates, usually with their in-house forestry/farm/digger driver and that can be great. There's loads of cutting work out there, you just need to tap into it. Word of mouth/an email to likely estates & contractors/ adverts on FMOJ have all worked well for me. 

• Like 4

I don't know about work in Scotland. Although I did a similar type of thing to what you're considering around the area I was in (years ago now). 

It depends how patient you are. I was in no hurry, so kept working for companies that took me on PAYE, Saved up what I could, kept those I worked for sweet, got to know land owners, contractors and useful contacts/people.

I managed to get some decent kit together (all second hand and useful), tractor couple of trailers, winch etc, When my patience ran out, and I knew of some work available from  land owners I had done work for in the past. I contacted them (making sure it was the type of work the companies I had worked for were not that bothered with) had to do some crap to move on to the better work. 

I'm sure you know all this anyway,  hope whatever you decide to do it goes well my friend. 

Edited by Blackbriarwoods
spelling
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, Blackbriarwoods said:

I don't know about work in Scotland. Although I did a similar type of thing to what you're considering around the area I was in (years ago now). 

It depends how patient you are. I was in no hurry, so kept working for companies that took me on PAYE, Saved up what I could, kept those I worked for sweet, got to know land owners, contractors and useful contacts/people.

I managed to get some decent kit together (all second hand and useful), tractor couple of trailers, winch etc, When my patience ran out, and I knew of some work available from  land owners I had done work for in the past. I contacted them (making sure it was the type of work the companies I had worked for were not that bothered with) had to do some crap to move on to the better work. 

I'm sure you know all this anyway,  hope whatever you decide to do it goes well my friend. 

Aye currently we both work for the same company and I'd try not to step on anybodys toes trying to do this. 

We are no strangers to crap work. It would just be great to do it off your own name etc and scale something up. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JDon said:

Aye currently we both work for the same company and I'd try not to step on anybodys toes trying to do this. 

We are no strangers to crap work. It would just be great to do it off your own name etc and scale something up. 

I loved working that way, although there was a lot more to it than I was prepared for, took a while to find a system but worked it out in the end so that I could keep enjoying the work and keep everyone else content.

Best thing that happened to me was making friends with an old contractor, he was happy to give advice and suggestions. Him allowing me to tap into his knowledge and experience, saved me making many mistakes and saved me a fortune (Many thanks Sid). 

I never wanted to get that big, I was happy to keep doing the smaller job. Lack of ambition in some peoples eyes, lack of extra stress as far as I was oncerned

Edited by Blackbriarwoods
additional detail
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...