layed off ???

hazzygawa

My boss has been laying me off due to lack of work in the past. he says i have to have it as holiday. i am on contract with him. now he is saying i have to have time off cuz of the bad weather. this is starting to take the piss i think, fair enough if there is no work on but there are logs to split. he doesnt usually tell me until the day b4. RANT

what are your views on this??

:sneaky2:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what does your statment of terms and conditions of employment (contract) state ??? personally i dont think he can force you to take holidays when he decides , as for making you take time off because of poor weather i think if you allow this to go on you will be spending lots of time at home !!! lets be honest the weather here in the uk is not too great .

Try looking at things from his point of view too. He cant organise the weather to suit him, he watches the forecast the night before, and makes a decision as to whether the job can go ahead. And he lets you know as soon as he knows. Thats better than you getting up early, struggling into work, only to be told to go home again. Also bear in mind we've had (financially as well as meteorologically) a very tough time, work is not so abundant as it was. Better that you have holiday while its like this, and still get an income, than lose your job and have none. I would talk to him, rationally, and discuss your concerns, but bear the above in mind and see if you can reach a compromise that suits you both:001_smile:

its hard to speak about these things, from both sides, he may feel just as awkward as you. if he is quiet then he needs to save money and pay his bills, just like you. splitting logs is ok here and there, but he wont see the money for them till next year but pay you now. wages are the biggest expense for most small firms, and it isnt easy this time of year. Talk to him, man to man and see what you guys can come up with, you will see things diferent from him and may be able to give ideas on changing the way things should be done .

I think you need to talk to him. If your contract is being breached then that could be a problem and you don`t want to be forced into using your holiday. However, as Andy says, times are tough and the weather has been bad. If he`s a good employer (hard to find sometimes) then it`s worth a bit of compromise.

Try looking at things from his point of view too. He cant organise the weather to suit him, he watches the forecast the night before, and makes a decision as to whether the job can go ahead. And he lets you know as soon as he knows. Thats better than you getting up early, struggling into work, only to be told to go home again. Also bear in mind we've had (financially as well as meteorologically) a very tough time, work is not so abundant as it was. Better that you have holiday while its like this, and still get an income, than lose your job and have none. I would talk to him, rationally, and discuss your concerns, but bear the above in mind and see if you can reach a compromise that suits you both:001_smile:

:thumbup1:This is level headed advice,if things are a bit tight and financial/meteorological climates both,are in play,he may simply need to earn money to spend it,logsplitting is a long term investment so it wont pay the wages that week.

Tough on you so talk to him.:thumbup1:

How long have you been working ior this guy ?? i had a similar situation where i was laid off when i worke for a company in devon , in fact 5 of us got laid off because the boss had lost the plot and had not bothered to get any work in. The jobs we were being sent to were quite often jobs that the company had not which left us in an awkwar situation when the customer is not in so you get on with the job in hand only to find halfway through the job the client comes home and asks what the hell we are doing there as we did not get the job. Any way the point that im making is that we were liad off and i was totally honest with the boss and told him how i felt about the whole situation and that i could not believe that he was laying off the decent climbers and keeping on the lads fresh out of college all because they cost less !. any way within 4 weeks the other 4 guys were offered their jobs back and they took them , i had not found another job yet but i did not take my old job back however the other guys that did ended up getting laid off again within 6 months meanwhille i had found another much more decent job.

The point im trying to make is that sometimes employers will try to un knowingly take the p**s to a certain degree . if you worked for the council im pretty sure you would not be sent home because the weather was not too good . i have guys working for me and down here in cornwall the weather is verry un predictable but still they all work 5 days a week no matter what . as much as i need to pay the bills and live my self so do they so it is not an option to ask them to use their holiday to cover the time where i work is slack or the weather is bad and when the holiday runs out i most certainly would not expect them to lose a days pay because the weather is bad . back in the middle of winter we had about a week and a half of really bad weather what would they have survived on if i told them to stay home with no pay ?? i would expect them to tell me where to go .