Level 4 prior reading

San Salter

I'm just getting my teeth into the trees this year, been at it since Feb and have loved everyday so far.

Groundsaw and climbing booked end of this year, will be doing climbing with saw n rigging next year but I want to diversify my work early on and get a few days here and there tree surveying.

I understand the level4 is nessecary for that and a planning on doing it alongside my work either next year or the year after. What books and/or resources do people recommend reading prior.

Any other advice for a 30yr old just getting into the industry is welcome. I'm doing my mountain leader qualification next year and plan on attempting to combine the two fields if anyone has experience or contacts I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction 

Thank you ❤️

11 hours ago, San Salter said:

I'm just getting my teeth into the trees this year, been at it since Feb and have loved everyday so far.

Groundsaw and climbing booked end of this year, will be doing climbing with saw n rigging next year but I want to diversify my work early on and get a few days here and there tree surveying.

I understand the level4 is nessecary for that and a planning on doing it alongside my work either next year or the year after. What books and/or resources do people recommend reading prior.

Any other advice for a 30yr old just getting into the industry is welcome. I'm doing my mountain leader qualification next year and plan on attempting to combine the two fields if anyone has experience or contacts I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction 

Thank you ❤️

If you're just getting into Arb work you might want to start with the level 2 ABC, then become a cert. Arb. With the RFS when you have enough tickets together (I think you need 8). I've got my MLS and MLW but there doesn't seem to be a way to combine that I've seen, you'll probably find you're too busy with the tree work anyway. Guiding work is sporadic and poorly paid

• 2 weeks later...

If it's the Level 4 in Arboriculture that you are looking at then there is a reading list which you can find here: https://skillsandeducationgroupawards.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Qualifications/1466-IA-1__Reading List.pdf

Our next Level 4 Award covering the the Tree biomechanics and Woodland Management modules will start in Spring 2024. Its classroom based with 7 sessions once a month. www.lynhertraining.com

Edited by LynherTraining

The Level 4 is a great thing to do, giving you a broad and in depth understanding of loads of aspects of Arboriculture, but I'd agree with previous posters and say that early on a Level 2 is a better place to start - you'll probably also find that many places require a Level 2 as a pre-requisite for the L4, in lieu of industry experience and professional tickets. The Level 4 is also a pretty big outlay in terms of time and cash too, and you might be better off investing elsewhere in your training to begin with.

A lot of people start off surveying with the Professional Tree Inspection qualification, but again I think there are a few pre-requisites for doing it you might not meet yet. There are Basic Tree Inspection courses you could look into if you were really keen.

My advice would be do all the reading you can and stay on the tools for a bit - you'll learn a lot applying what you read to the trees you're working on, especially if you find some decent arborists to work with. If you're really keen on surveying reach out to some local consultants/surveyors and ask if they need a hand on bigger jobs. You might be doing grunt work like banging tags in and plotting trees on a map, but with the right people you'll learn a lot working along side them.

And the TMA fungi app is great for getting started on your fungi ID.

I'm intrigued as to how you'd combine the ML with tree work but I can see there's lots of crossover in terms of leadership skills, planning, rescue, first aid.

Where abouts are you based?

On 06/08/2023 at 15:33, krummholz said:

The Level 4 is a great thing to do, giving you a broad and in depth understanding of loads of aspects of Arboriculture, but I'd agree with previous posters and say that early on a Level 2 is a better place to start - you'll probably also find that many places require a Level 2 as a pre-requisite for the L4, in lieu of industry experience and professional tickets. The Level 4 is also a pretty big outlay in terms of time and cash too, and you might be better off investing elsewhere in your training to begin with.

A lot of people start off surveying with the Professional Tree Inspection qualification, but again I think there are a few pre-requisites for doing it you might not meet yet. There are Basic Tree Inspection courses you could look into if you were really keen.

My advice would be do all the reading you can and stay on the tools for a bit - you'll learn a lot applying what you read to the trees you're working on, especially if you find some decent arborists to work with. If you're really keen on surveying reach out to some local consultants/surveyors and ask if they need a hand on bigger jobs. You might be doing grunt work like banging tags in and plotting trees on a map, but with the right people you'll learn a lot working along side them.

And the TMA fungi app is great for getting started on your fungi ID.

I'm intrigued as to how you'd combine the ML with tree work but I can see there's lots of crossover in terms of leadership skills, planning, rescue, first aid.

Where abouts are you based?

Thanks for the advise bud! 

Will look into the level 2, as for ml chainsaw work I've heard of work abroad clearing paths for surveying teams. 

Based in Oswestry.