Is this what a leaking decompression valve looks like?

Muddy42

This is on a one year old Husqvarna brushcutter 555rxt that has been used a lot.  I was doing some routine maintenance after it became a bit harder to start.  I have replaced the decomp valve with a plug to see if that makes a difference. I appreciate that you get some oil on the decomp valve but this seems excessive?

Edited by Muddy42

2 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

IMG_5162.thumb.jpeg.bbd09afb3b4354fdae38efc86833e140.jpeg

Was it screwed in properly ? You can usually tell from the tapered seat of the valve but you have to take it out to see that . What did it look like when you removed it ? What I mean is it looks like its been leaking from the thread rather than the seat of the valve ...

Edited by Stubby

9 hours ago, spudulike said:

Put some bubbly water around it and pull the engine over slowly and see if you get bubbles. 

The decomp can be re-ground in with grinding paste but clean it afterwards. 

It looks like it may have been leaking or just used a fair bit.

This is a bit extravagent, but handy to have about the place. Soapy water substitute in a handy aerosol.

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

Gas leak detector spray for safety checks on all types of gas systems, including oxygen. Highlights leaks even on...

Edited by doobin

11 hours ago, spudulike said:

Put some bubbly water around it and pull the engine over slowly and see if you get bubbles. 

The decomp can be re-ground in with grinding paste but clean it afterwards. 

It looks like it may have been leaking or just used a fair bit.

Thanks.  Definitely used a fair bit.

13 hours ago, Stubby said:

Was it screwed in properly ? You can usually tell from the tapered seat of the valve but you have to take it out to see that . What did it look like when you removed it ? What I mean is it looks like its been leaking from the thread rather than the seat of the valve ...

Thanks.  Its really hard to tell.  I'm leaning slightly towards it leaking at the thread than the valve, but the whole thing was covered in oily soot.  I'm going to clean it up and try again.  I get that the valve might leak a bit if used, maybe i'll see if it still leaks when I don't use the valve.

• Like 1