What am I doing wrong?

Toothed ascenders can shear the rope cover in the event of a small drop. If you're installing access lines with a throwline there's a good chance of your rope going over a small branch above what you think is over. It happens and the resulting drop could seriously damage your rope if your primary attachment is a toothed ascender.

What do you climb on for working the tree?

23 hours ago, Nutcracker said:

I think crabbing up the rope for so many years is proving a hindrance when trying to learn a different technique.

You need to avoid the temptation to pull with your arms. Try maintaining an upright position on the rope by standing in the foot ascender & foot loop without gripping the rope with your hands just wrap an arm around the rope. Once you can do that start taking small steps up the rope & only use your hands to help maintain the upright stance. Make sure the bottom of the rope is weighted below your feet to keep it taught. A lot of newbies try to achieve roperunning before they can ropewalk, take small steps initially & the speed will come once you have the technique. 

Spot on Logjam that's exactly where I'm going wrong. Rainy day today here in SW Wales but I'll take your advice and have a go tomorrow. Thanks for the advice👍

12 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Toothed ascenders can shear the rope cover in the event of a small drop. If you're installing access lines with a throwline there's a good chance of your rope going over a small branch above what you think is over. It happens and the resulting drop could seriously damage your rope if your primary attachment is a toothed ascender.

This is the kind of thing I used to do - built the platform first as the ladders didn't turn up till after it was finished. 40metres to the first branch. Bear in mind I started using SRT around 1988, no multiscenders in those days, couldn't have done it without the Croll. I was well aware of it's dangers and even a small fall on a static rope from that kind of situation would have been a problem. Used to preload the rope with two or three people before I dared to climb it.IMG_20230623_223850.jpg.90809c54054f6e1d35dbd3f2e3349453.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/06/2023 at 10:18, Joe Newton said:

The risk catastrophic failure of a rope is pretty minimal. Even rupture of the sheath generally takes sustained abuse and a certain degree of negligence. 
Systems using toothed cams have been used for decades in various sports, all of which are harder on ropes than arb, and are perfectly safe for access techniques. 

Alternatives may be more optimal, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with what the OP is discussing. 

• 4 months later...