Two stroke oils / Stihl Ultra / Stihl Motomix

Muddy42

I mostly use alkylate premix fuel (Stihl Motomix at the moment) but also mix my own (when using a lot of fuel, summer strimming etc.)  When mixing my own, I try to avoid ethanol, I use it up quickly, run till dry and last tank is alkylate etc. etc.

I've been reading about problems caused by Stihl HP Ultra, which is also the oil used in Motomix. Should I be concerned?  I have been thinking about adding say 25ml of the older red Stihl mineral oil to my motomix cans, to turn the 50:1 into it 40:1 and add some extra lubrication.

Whilst I haven't seen it quite as bad as Richard has, I have seen a few saws in front of me on Ultra that had loads of carbon everywhere. I suspect he sees stuff run in much hotter climes than we have here. Still, I was not impressed with what I saw. Not much lube, loads of carbon. Usually I would suggest 40:1, but with how much carbon I see, I just say go with something else. Like, anything else from a different brand.

25 minutes ago, wyk said:

Whilst I haven't seen it quite as bad as Richard has, I have seen a few saws in front of me on Ultra that had loads of carbon everywhere. I suspect he sees stuff run in much hotter climes than we have here. Still, I was not impressed with what I saw. Not much lube, loads of carbon. Usually I would suggest 40:1, but with how much carbon I see, I just say go with something else. Like, anything else from a different brand.

Sorry, not having a pop, but....

It was the way he was quick to whip the pot off, when a view through both the inlet and exhaust ports would have shown the same. Yes?

Also, cynical me says, there was no indication of how old the saw was. 

I run Motomix (50:1 Ultra) in a milling saw and Ultra /E5 mix in all the rest.  Milling flat out just about through every pass. The implied lack of lube is quite a big concern. Plus....it's the first time it's been brought up.

I've seen/followed all the pump fuel vs alkalyte threads and Aspen vs Motomix and nothing about excess carbon and poor lube. 

9 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

It was the way he was quick to whip the pot off, when a view through both the inlet and exhaust ports would have shown the same. Yes?

I run Motomix (50:1 Ultra) in a milling saw and Ultra /E5 mix in all the rest.  Milling flat out just about through every pass. The implied lack of lube is quite a big concern. Plus....it's the first time it's been brought up.

I've seen/followed all the pump fuel vs alkalyte threads and Aspen vs Motomix and nothing about excess carbon and poor lube. 

Richard Flagg has quite a few other videos about the problems with Ultra, if you are interested. Plenty of other people online seem to have issues.

I think I was as surprised as anyone to find out there had been concerns, particularly given Ultra has been sold for at least 10 years.  Id be interested if anyone in the UK had had problems?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muddy42 said:

Richard Flagg has quite a few other videos about the problems with Ultra, if you are interested. Plenty of other people online seem to have issues.

I think I was as surprised as anyone to find out there had been concerns, particularly given Ultra has been sold for at least 10 years.  Id be interested if anyone in the UK had had problems?

Good point.   The US have their own mixes of fuel. ... 

Reaching out in the hope that  @Crocky has some comment....only based on the fact that he'll be looking at the insides of my 261 that has almost exclusively run on E5 pump fuel and Ultra 50:1 or as near as dammit. 

36 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Good point.   The US have their own mixes of fuel. ... 

Reaching out in the hope that  @Crocky has some comment....only based on the fact that he'll be looking at the insides of my 261 that has almost exclusively run on E5 pump fuel and Ultra 50:1 or as near as dammit. 

Yes different fuel, or a different batch of oils, also how they mix fuel with imperial measurements is totally beyond me !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

Richard has been working on small engines for decades. He knows what he's talking about, and we would do well to watch his videos and learn from him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, petercb said:

I might have been more impressed with Richard Flagg if he'd cleaned the saw before stripping it down and dropping the crap into it.

I'd be more impressed if you listened to what he actually said in the video before typing. The thing is locked up with a bad bearing and will need a rebuild. No amount of not getting dirt into that saw is gonna help it at this point, son. It needs to be split apart.

• Like 1