Stihl MS261 backfiring, running backwards and generally misbehaving

AWG81

Just another update - I checked the flywheel with L&S and the part code should be 1141 400 1200 so it looks like I have the wrong flywheel fitted. I'm wondering if I change the flywheel it might work with the coil I have. Out of stock on L&S at the moment though...

• Like 1

That helps enormously....and no sarcasm this time..... interesting, some muppet has fitted a Mtronic flywheel on a 2012 machine....no wonder it isn't liking it! On Chris's machine you can see the Mtronic connector on the coil.

The flywheel must be wrong as long as Chris's machine hasn't been messed with.

So, you need an old flywheel and hopefully you still have the old coil although the aftermarket one may work with the correct flywheel.

Good thing I said check the flywheel is correct!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just an update on this MS 261.

I bit the bullet and bought a new flywheel from L&S with the correct number. It now will fire up and run (hooray), but I'm still getting a bit of backfire and my decomp valve is popping out every time I pull it over. When it backfires I get a puff of smoke out the exhaust and decomp valve.

I seem to be having trouble with the master control lever too and am wondering if it's related - if I have it set on the choke setting (all the way down) it pops back up on its own every time I pull it over without the engine coughing. It will only start when the lever is on the run position.

Once it goes it seems to idle and rev up fine (although a bit smoky) but the starting issue is puzzling me. I'm about ready to throw this thing in the bin but I've spent too much time on it now to give up!

Thanks for the help so far - it's running better than it was thanks to info provided here!

I haven't read the whole of the comments on here, but reading your last comment (above) is it flooding the combustion chamber? Popping the decomp valve out without starting plus all the other symptoms you have listed above suggest it is flooding somewhere...or is very very rich. The flywheel rotating backwards on the compression stroke could suggest the same......return pressure trying to compress a liquid?

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

Is the machine running with the aftermarket coil? It is possible that the manufacturer got the initial start up ignition timing too retarded causing the backfire.

The decomp flipping out may be the backfire causing it or just another aftermarket part which is a bit weak.

The choke lever may have a bit of wear or a weak flat spring. Without the machine in font of us it will always be difficult to analyse what part is wrong with it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Is the machine running with the aftermarket coil? It is possible that the manufacturer got the initial start up ignition timing too retarded causing the backfire.

The decomp flipping out may be the backfire causing it or just another aftermarket part which is a bit weak.

The choke lever may have a bit of wear or a weak flat spring. Without the machine in font of us it will always be difficult to analyse what part is wrong with it.

True.....i regularly get phone calls along these lines, and tell them to bring it in and show me because after a minute or so of a customer self diagnosing I tend to glaze over. Once you have it in front of you, even with the customer rabbiting in your ear you can quietly visually analyse it and come to a conclusion before the customer has finished talking. Personally i dont like taking machinery on that a weekend warrior has had a go at, as you have to check what they have done...put that right, before you can find the original issue.

'It's not starting'

'Ok, have you done anything to it? Whats the history? Well, it was working and now it doesn't and I've played around with those screws on the side near the carburettor i think'

'Jeez.....ruddy marvellous'

🙄

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1