Huge tree and landlord issues

Jhug

Question

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice. 

I live on a council estate, all the houses on my street and the street behind are owned by the same housing association. 

My nieghbour has a tree in the garden, was there when they moved in, its huge and currently overhangs 5 gardens. The nieghbours with the tree hate it and want it removed, as it blocks all their light in summer, drops branches constantly damaging their garden furniture. 

Our elderly neighbours that live directly behind us in bungalows, 3 in total want it removed because they're scared it's going to fall on their houses and it blocks their light and cloggs up their grids and gutters every year. 

I'm just hoping the landlord would cut it back enough so it's no longer dropping branches, these branches have damaged my chicken coop and one landed on my dog but he's fine. The leaves also block a drain below it and floods mine and my direct nieghbours garden alot. Just worry about my children playing out also. The sound it makes in even light winds is scary, and I do fear that if it goes it's going on the bungalows. 

We did manage to get the landlord out to trim it, unfortunately it was only one elderly nieghbour in at the time as we were all at work and they cut two branches off and left telling her she has no right to light. They do turn up unannounced for any job with out notice. 

Just wondering if anyone knew of any law we could use to get them to care for this tree properly. And even a bit of reassurence that hopefully it's not as dangerous as it looks? 

IMG_20230319_134730.jpg

3 answers to this question

Pretty sure that’s an ash, so if luck is on your side it’ll get ash dieback soon.

In other observations it got reduced around 8/10 years ago to the lines I added.

At the very least it should be redone to the same level imo.

This is what you should be pushing for for a minimum, should be a simple one day job for a normal tree firm.

Dunno about laws, doubt it if I am honest.

9671B6EC-001E-47E1-896C-EDE37EBD7DF9.png

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leaves in gutters etc is not a reason to remove/prune a tree. Just clean your drain/gutters out.

And no there is no right to light.

The tree owner does not have to announce they are carrying out work to neighbours.

All neighbours do have the right to cut back the overhanging branches to the boundary. This would be done at the expense of each property owner, not the tree owners. If you take this approach it would be good to advise the tree owner you are going to do this and give them an opportunity to get it done them selves.

There are also access issues regarding this, Such as gaining access into the tree would require permission.

If the tree is dropping branches and you feel it is dangerous (impossible to say from this picture and online in general and people have a tendency to over-exaggerate the risk of trees). Then you should approach the owner and express your concern. Suggest they have it surveyed.

Log this information for future, say should damage or harm be caused it shows negligence. As you do have the right to being safe from other people's property. The tree in this case.

There are no laws I'm aware of for you to use to get them to prune a tree in this case. Just ones to use should it fail and negligence could be proven, hence the above paragraph.

Edited by Ledburyjosh
  • Like 1