The Structure of a Team

Doug Tait

Just an unimportant Sunday afternoon thought.

It seems there are some very different opinions in our industry of how a team should be structured.

Thinking of a team of 3/4 people or more, my experience is largely working for others who are the boss on site and they are everything, lead climber, team leader, foreman, boss etc. They call all the shots whatever their particular role on site at the time. I imagine most on here who run their own show operate like this but the dynamic changes somewhat when the boss isn't on site.

So what's the preference?

I'm a firm believer that a lead climber should make the calls regarding actual method of work in the tree, separately you have a team leader/foreman who runs the job, spec, logistics, compliance, customer relations, timekeeping, managing the boss etc. but I find there's an alternative view (held mostly by folk who used to be the boss on site and have transitioned to the office solely) that the team leader should be the lead climber and everything else (essentially one person doing their previous role by proxy.)

It doesn't make sense to me, the skills required to be a good lead climber are very different to those of a team leader and I think a team will function far more efficiently with clearly separated responsibilities. There aren't many people equipped with the right mindset and skillset to effectively be controlling the whole job and simultaneously up the tree cutting, even with these new fangled helmet comms!

Is there any concensus as to the better team structure, or does it depend on the particular job and individuals involved?

• Like 2

Interesting post. I'm lead climber, and I own the company along with my brother who works on the ground. 9 times out of 10 we'll be singing from the same hymn sheet, if there's a disagreement it'll be me making the final call with regards to the dismantle/technical side of things, and him making the call on time/crew management. 

Horses for courses, all companies operate differently 

• Like 4

It’s a very difficult thing to do (in my opinion) run a whole job from in the tree, as the climber and either as the boss / owner or as the foreman for someone else. 

I have done both, but don’t climb much myself these days and use experienced climbers I know and trust; ultimately they make the decisions on how they want to execute the work in the tree, after we’ve discussed it before they go up. 
I run the job on the ground. 

These things generally work themselves out, or not if the climber and the foreman / owner on the ground, each have very different ideas of how to go about things and can’t find a middle ground to make it work. 

Edited by Jon Lad
  • Like 4