Husqvarna 565 - OK to fit a 30" bar for milling?

Fishman

The recommended maximum bar length for the Husqvarna 565 is 28 inches but I would like a saw with a 30" bar to use for milling with my Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.  I can by a lightly used Husqvarna 565 at a good price from a friend who has had it from new so I know its a good machine but it comes with a 26 inch bar. Is it OK to fit a 30" bar to this, or would I need to do additional modifications such as a new sprocket etc and will the machine cope ok milling with this bar length?  I won't be doing lots of milling so it won't get thrashed.  Or should I pass on this offer and look for a larger machine (which one?) that takes a 30 inch bar as standard?  I would be looking for a used Husqvarna if thats the way to go as sadly my budget doesn't run to a new one!

You lose 4 or 6 inches of usable bar in the clamps of the mill, a 30" bar will be absolutely fine. You could go to 36" bar milling especially if you go lo-pro 3/8 which would need a different sprocket as well.

It would cut faster if you bought a bigger saw but if not doing loads of milling then you have to work out whether you think it's worth it. 565 on 20 or 24" is probably more generally useful saw for other stuff.

Thanks for quick replay Dan. My Alaskan Mill Mk III will take a max bar length of 30" which is why I am looking for the 30" bar.  I already have a Hasqvarna 346xp with a 20" bar (max recommended size) for general purpose work so the new one would be almost exclusively milling and the odd larger tree felling. 

I think you are saying that I could put a 30" bar on the 565 without any modification - is that right?  

I don't really understand how strictly you should stick with the 'recommended' max bar size (28" for the 565) and obviously folks do stick longer bars on so my gut feel is that a 30" bar being only 2" over the recommended max is not a big deal and should be fine, but want to be sure its safe do do so.

2 hours ago, Fishman said:

I think you are saying that I could put a 30" bar on the 565 without any modification

Yes. Husqvarna seem to have a bit of a break at 28" or 70cm where they suggest you should change up to .404. I wouldn't bother for the sake of 2 inches, but I think you'll need to look elsewhere to find one eg chainsawbars.co.uk

The max bar length you can run is kind of a design decision because manufacturers have to say something. In practical terms it comes down to the fact a longer bar needs more power, you'll probably have to be careful not to bog down a 565 on 30", whereas on say 24" it will cut strongly with the whole bar. It depends on the wood you're cutting too of course.

Personally I wouldn't run near max bar length as I like the saw to rev and cut strongly, and it's a faster and more efficient way to cut.

2 hours ago, Fishman said:

Hasqvarna 346xp with a 20" bar

Some say 346 is one of the best saws ever, but not on a 20" bar. Put a 15 on and it will be light and nimble, and cut strongly.

What width of wood are you trying to create and is it hardwood or softwood? As described above, when milling, you lose at lease 4 inches of useable bar, plus its helpful to have a bit of wiggle room to allow for corners, branches, lumps and bumps. Then factor in the fact that the bark and outer layers of wood aren't that decorative or useful.

70 cc is generally considered the minimum power for a small mill.  Yes you can make it work with lopro chain or even skip chain, but you'll always be right on the edge of the saws capabilities, even with a super sharp chain. Millings is really hard on saws and there are plenty of examples of saws that get burned out by this form of torture.

If you havn't bought the saw yet, I'd seriously consider a more powerful saw.  When milling you can use some of the older and cheaper second hand brake-less saws.

I started milling with my 2007 365 with a 36" lo pro bar and chain. If you go lo pro 36" bar you will be able to go to the maximum size of your mill. It doesn't matter if some of the bar is sticking out the end of the mill. Another thing to consider is that not all bar lengths are the same. so for instance the total length of a 36" lo pro bar is different than the total length of a 36" Stihl rollomatic bar or husky bars. GB bars have different total lengths to other manufacturers. check with @Rob D on the sprocket and chain/bars. 

You will however probably find soon enough that you will want a bigger saw and bigger bar and bigger mill. But if you start with what you have got and learn the trade, you will get good at it before investing too much money in it. 

Lo pro produces a nice smooth cut and as long as you keep your cutters nice and sharp it will get you through a lot of timber. Saying that, I now mill with an 881 and .404 chain generally about 42" bar for most of what I mill up. 👍

• Like 1

Just to add to what I said earlier, a 565 would be excellent size as a second crosscutting saw when milling with a bigger saw.  That way you don't need to keep swapping one saw in and out of the mill. If it really is a decent price, go for it and upgrade later, you can never have too many saws!

Just be aware you don't overheat or stress the saw.  Leave the saw to idle for a while between cuts to warm up and cool down, keep the cutters really sharp, take your time and keep the kerf open with wedges applied by hand.

• Like 1