BBC 2 9 0clock tonight

Theocus

With furniture you cleave the wood into sections. As the wood dries it shrinks alot one direction more than the other (which is why wood splits) but as the wood has already been split it can shrink. For example a piece of wood turned round will become slightly oval when dried. This is very useful and enables greenwood funiture to hold itself together ie no nails or glue.

Did that make sense?

With furniture you cleave the wood into sections. As the wood dries it shrinks alot one direction more than the other (which is why wood splits) but as the wood has already been split it can shrink. For example a piece of wood turned round will become slightly oval when dried. This is very useful and enables greenwood funiture to hold itself together ie no nails or glue.

Did that make sense?

It certainly did, thank you. I'd love to spend a few days somewhere like that!!

I thought it was pretty good. But really not doing THAT much to inspire the nation into traditional crafts, as is the stated aim of the program.

I think the aim of the programme is to give gainful employment to Monty Don after he had to give up the Gardeners World gig.

Used to run green wood working courses at a site I used to work at. Majority of the participants were urban refugees who had an idyllic view of this as some bucolic, rural heaven, which it was in the summer. As I used to inform them, its a completely different ball game working out in the woods in a cold, wet February.

By the way Tom Vaughan, who featured in the programme , used to be my kids woodwork teacher.:thumbup: