MS341 carburettor query

Jon Cload

Hi All - I have a MS341, owned from new since 2007.  I moved out to the USA last year - decided to get it serviced (no issues at all with it, just giving it some care!).

Stihl dealership said the carburettor needed replacing so I thought ‘oh well - it’s quite old’ so told them to do it.  Since I started enquiring, I found out that the MS341 uses a HD35 carburettor but despite this, the dealer has ordered and fitted an HD34 which apparently is for the MS361.

My query to you learned folks is - is it ok to fit a HD34 to a MS341, or should I tell the dealer that I want a HD35 as manufacturer intended??

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Jon Cload said:

Hi All - I have a MS341, owned from new since 2007.  I moved out to the USA last year - decided to get it serviced (no issues at all with it, just giving it some care!).

Stihl dealership said the carburettor needed replacing so I thought ‘oh well - it’s quite old’ so told them to do it.  Since I started enquiring, I found out that the MS341 uses a HD35 carburettor but despite this, the dealer has ordered and fitted an HD34 which apparently is for the MS361.

My query to you learned folks is - is it ok to fit a HD34 to a MS341, or should I tell the dealer that I want a HD35 as manufacturer intended??

Thanks in advance!

Had a 341 a few years back and my understanding is it is exactly the same saw as a 361 except for the carb, so if a HD34 is fitted i think it will give you a bit more power, so i wouldnt be to bothered about that myself, may be some one else could confirm this,,

• Like 1

The Carburettor swap should be no problem, designed for same fittings, may give a power increase. Apart from the simpler "open" cylinder on the 341, the other significant difference between the two is in the exhaust, which has a restriction tube on the MS341, and is a different part number to the MS361. The later MS361 exhaust has lost this tube and is a direct swap, worth considering. The ignition is supposed to be different, but my MS341 can rev to 14 thousand, which is more than needed.

• Like 1

I would be less concerned on the part code and more concerned as to why they are fitting a new carb.

In repairing saws, I have rarely had to fit a new carb and at a guess would say I have only ever fitted perhaps 15 in a few thousand repairs. 

Normal reasons to replace are

- The carb is worn - normally on strimmers and trimmers linkages due to the constant blipping of the throttle - KM56s are common.

- The carb just won't tune in after a normal clean, inspection and service.

- Carbs with faulty accelerator pumps that can't be repaired through the carb design the 357XP comes to mind.

It is possible the dealer can't be arsed to fix the accelerator pump and is fitting a carb instead - usual symptoms are a hesitation when giving it a fistful of throttle and an unstable idle. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I would be less concerned on the part code and more concerned as to why they are fitting a new carb.

In repairing saws, I have rarely had to fit a new carb and at a guess would say I have only ever fitted perhaps 15 in a few thousand repairs. 

Normal reasons to replace are

- The carb is worn - normally on strimmers and trimmers linkages due to the constant blipping of the throttle - KM56s are common.

- The carb just won't tune in after a normal clean, inspection and service.

- Carbs with faulty accelerator pumps that can't be repaired through the carb design the 357XP comes to mind.

It is possible the dealer can't be arsed to fix the accelerator pump and is fitting a carb instead - usual symptoms are a hesitation when giving it a fistful of throttle and an unstable idle. 

We now only fit new carbs as a whole....we introduced this when the e5 came out and were inundated with nonstarting machines not run dry whilst laid up. This got worse when the e10 came out in 2021. It actually works out proportionally cheaper for the customer to fit a new carb (obviously once we have established it is a carb issue) than it would be to remove it, us fit a diaphragm and gasket kit, then re fit, and find there are still running issues with it. We are potentially doing the job at least twice. I get it from a hobbyists point of view where time and labour are not an issue, but if i said to a customer it will be an hours labour plus a kit to overhaul your carb, and once re-fitted there still could be an issue, so you will have to pay again for us to remove it again compared to just over half an hours labour to fit a new, known working carb so it is right first time. Instead of take old carb off, re build it, put it back on, still issues so remove it again is a lot more labour than simply fitting a new carb first time. Labour for us is £44 per hour plus vat...so labour to fit a new carb and set it up will be around £25 plus the carb. Potentially an hour and a half or more faffing around with the old carb could easily be £60 odd quid and yiu still have an old unknown carb fitted. So £100 to fit a new genuine stihl carb with a warranty or £60 quid labour plus a carb kit and no guarantees another issue may soon arise. Extra £30 or £40 for piece of mind and warranty is worth it...not just for the customer, but also us as a company as 'come back jobs we don't earn on.

I am quite happy to explain this and never had a customer since ethanol state he wants us to re build a carb.

There's your answer why we don't re build anymore spud.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

I can see where you are coming from and have had one or two occasions when after working on a carb for a while with no change that fitting a new one may have been a simpler option. Being self employed, the time was just absorbed in to the overall cost of the job rather than billed as it would be for a bigger business.

We all have different ways of working and personally I don't like throwing away any kit that has years of life in it whatever it may be.

I look at carbs and coils as relatively expensive items so like to know the only option is to replace them rather than just swapping parts but that is my way treating my customers £££ like my own.

With a reasonable chunk of my business being MS200Ts, replacing the carb would have added a good £120 to each rebuild rather than taking a tried and tested route of new accelerator pump and possible diaphragms at around £15 giving a very similar end result and a happy customer plus I always had those parts on the shelf!

Each man to his own:thumbup:

Thanks for your replies, everyone.  The dealer here in the USA said that the carburettor was unserviceable because it was ‘full of varnish’.

I don’t run the saw very frequently, and have (for the last decade) only used Motomix.  I’ve never had an issue with the saw, and the last time I ran it (last May), it started and ran perfectly as always.  Because of the age of the saw, and not being an expert in carburettors, I trusted the dealer when they told me about it, but a bit sceptical that the issue had arisen in a few months since running without issue…..

ah well, I guess the moral of the story is, don’t do anything to Stihl saws if they’re not broken…….!

We always attach the old carbs to repaired machines in a 'discarded parts' bag for the customer to inspect. The customer is then free to take parts home to inspect, or should they wish they can leave parts with us so we can recycle it correctly on their behalf. We have nothing to hide......although some dealers, and non dealers may. We actually prefer the customer to see the discarded repair parts upon collection as it helps them to understand what the issues were with the part or parts by showing them. Whereas the initial authorisation to go ahead with the repair would have been over the phone, this would be the first time to physically justify the customers expenditure in front of them. A picture paints a thousand words.....and saves a lot of explaining.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 2

My wife's car mechanic was like that, watching her glaze over when he showed her a buggered CV joint was amusing to say the least. 

I do the same as you in explaining to the customer why the part was swapped out and showing them the part. It often causes the glazed eyes, the comment "why would I want the old parts just lob them in the bin", or just the retort......"I trust you mate, no need to explain the repair". 

I refer to it as "old school" or just good old fashion manners.