Work and employment advice please

John Hathaway

Hi all and happy new year, I hope you would be willing to give me some advice. 

To start I’ll lay out my background.

I am a 29 year old hard working and motivated guy, I live on the Isle of Wight. My background  is in farming, I qualified in 2012 with various machinery and spraying tickets, I went onto work for some major farming companies operating big machinery in Lincolnshire and Hampshire, having returned back to the island I went onto be a countryside ranger for a local charity, and expanded my knowledge. 

In 2021 I went back to college on an intensive arborist course, qualified with Cs 30, 31, 38, 39, chipper, mewp and first aid +f a couple of months after that I did my Cs32. 

I had a break to do other things but I have now been climbing for the past 3 months, I have my own climbing kit, saws and ppe maintained to a high standard. I arrive on time and fit for work, motivated and with a good work ethic, have my own vehicle and can tow if needed. I have a lot still to learn but I am keen to pick up as much knowledge as I can, and to do further tickets. 

My Question to you all is what should my day rate be? One for climbing and one as a groundie/ rescue climber. With the view of ongoing investment in gear, saws and training.

I will add that I am asking this question because I have been climbing for a local company that I feel (this is an opinion only) doesn’t value me. 

I appreciate those who have taken the time to read my post and value your opinions, experience and knowledge. 

Thanks 

John 

The reality of the situation is that if you have only been climbing for 3 months, unless you are exceptionally gifted then you're not really worth anymore than a groundsman to a company. In fact as the climber generally sets the pace for the whole job (unless the groundstaff are next to useless) then you could arguably be worth less than a groundsman. That being the case its probably not a case of the company not valuing you, rather that they can't justify paying the extra to what is essentially a learner climber. Tickets don't really count for much at this stage i'm afraid.

Can't comment on rates as i have no idea what they are generally like on the Isle of Wight.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

What are you on?

Hi Mick, £100 for ground, £110 climbing, I will add that commuting from job to job in my truck for the company is costing me £20-30 a day, company doesn’t have a yard or base so there is always a differing commute to/ from and from job to job if that makes sense. 

23 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Just to add, aside from not being happy with what you earn, if the company is a good one and giving you plenty of opportunities to climb, perhaps with a bit of mentoring thrown it, then it would probably be a good move to hang in there for a little while regardless.

Thanks Steve, valuable advice that I will bear in mind! 

• Like 1

Just now, John Hathaway said:

Hi Mick, £100 for ground, £110 climbing, I will add that commuting from job to job in my truck for the company is costing me £20-30 a day, company doesn’t have a yard or base so there is always a differing commute to/ from and from job to job if that makes sense. 

Ok, thanks for being honest.

If you’re climbing regularly and are learning then think of it as an investment in yourself.

I can only speak from my experience, I did my courses and spent a year working for a firm on crap money (exactly the same as you if you convert wages from 1995 to 2023) then I struck out on my own subbing for a mate and finding my own work where I could.

Ask yourself “am I moving forward as a climber?” If yes, stick it out for a while, try not to worry about the money. If no, find somewhere else.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ok, thanks for being honest.

If you’re climbing regularly and are learning then think of it as an investment in yourself.

I can only speak from my experience, I did my courses and spent a year working for a firm on crap money (exactly the same as you if you convert wages from 1995 to 2023) then I struck out on my own subbing for a mate and finding my own work where I could.

Ask yourself “am I moving forward as a climber?” If yes, stick it out for a while, try not to worry about the money. If no, find somewhere else.

Thanks Mick, I have been climbing more than being on the ground, as for moving forward the mentoring isn’t quite there. As for the island and the driving, nowhere has a direct route as such added that there is a river that splits the island from the north makes journeys much further than you realise, having logged my miles there have been days on occasion where I’ve totalled 60 miles. Thanks for your advice I will definitely take it on board! 

Edited by John Hathaway
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, John Hathaway said:

Thanks Mick, I have been climbing more than being on the ground, as for moving forward the mentoring isn’t quite there. As for the island and the driving, nowhere has a direct route as such added that there is a river that splits the island from the north makes journeys much further than you realise, having logged my miles there have been days on occasion where I’ve totalled 60 miles. Thanks for your advice I will definitely take it on board! 

Ok, one last thought.

Remember it’s not the raison d’être of a company to devote themselves to getting you up to speed so you can start on your own or travel the world using skills they took time out to teach you.

• Like 6