Fire going out dependent on weather, room pressure?

Looking at the symptoms, you can get a roaring fire when the wind is in the right direction, CO detector stays quiet (by the way, a good time to test and check the batteries), says that mostly the fire is getting all the air it needs in a pretty well sealed room.

When the wind is wrong, smoke comes out and not up, the fire dies away (Have you ever checked when this happens what is happening outside the air vent - whether smoke is going out there too). Opening the window and the smoke starts to rise up the chimney again and the fire bursts to life again

Fire stalling to me sounds like it has too much smoke in the fire box and not clean air when you consider smoke coming out of the air vents.

Backdraft. Air pressure from above pushing smoke down.

Need to improve the draw of the chimney and this could be an easy fix, another length of chimney strapped to the top of the first (get a professional advice how to do that)

Have a read of this quick link 

WWW.TINYWOODSTOVE.COM

How much chimney height do I need above the roof? Chimney height is one of the critical factors affecting the performance of your wood stove, and whether your wood stove installation is...

• Thanks 1

On 27/11/2022 at 18:09, Steven P said:

Looking at the symptoms, you can get a roaring fire when the wind is in the right direction, CO detector stays quiet (by the way, a good time to test and check the batteries), says that mostly the fire is getting all the air it needs in a pretty well sealed room.

When the wind is wrong, smoke comes out and not up, the fire dies away (Have you ever checked when this happens what is happening outside the air vent - whether smoke is going out there too). Opening the window and the smoke starts to rise up the chimney again and the fire bursts to life again

Fire stalling to me sounds like it has too much smoke in the fire box and not clean air when you consider smoke coming out of the air vents.

Backdraft. Air pressure from above pushing smoke down.

Need to improve the draw of the chimney and this could be an easy fix, another length of chimney strapped to the top of the first (get a professional advice how to do that)

Have a read of this quick link 

WWW.TINYWOODSTOVE.COM

How much chimney height do I need above the roof? Chimney height is one of the critical factors affecting the performance of your wood stove, and whether your wood stove installation is...

Thanks, that’s very helpful

need to research how easy it is to insert an extension piece. Looks from pics it’s just spring jubilee clamps, but probably not that easy…lol

A98ECE0D-065E-4BA6-AFC1-8BEF31515CB0.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Pacemaker1000 said:

need to research how easy it is to insert an extension piece. Looks from pics it’s just spring jubilee clamps, but probably not that easy…lol

That looks to be significantly below the Ridge of the building behind. Optical illusion? 

• Like 1

On a windy day when the fire has just gone out, have you tried relighting the fire with the door to the room closed and the window open? if would be best if the window was facing the wind. If that improves the fire and it stays alight, you need to improve the airflow to the fire (effectively venting the fire from the outside in a way that the vent can be closed when not in use).  If there is no change, the flue and draft needs improving. 

Alternatively you could try a wood stove, as in my experience they tend to draw better, especially with a narrow flue and an older style stove.  The draft on some of the new Ecodesign ones are rubbish!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pacemaker1000 said:

That stack is too low . 

• Like 2

I was looking at the first picture. cowel isn't quite at the top of the window, Don't want you crawling on the roof but if there are fewer than 8 ridge tiles I reckon you will be within 10' of the main house, and pushing it with 8 ridge tiles (450mm less 25mm overlap? less distance from the edge of the roof for the chimney (200mm?), less the overhang of the gutter (200mm),8 tiles, sums in my head, 118", or 2" short......) (based on the link I found above). If it is then the link above suggests you should be 2" above the building edge - an extra 4'? If you are OK and good the 10' quoted then you would need a 3" chimney and not 2"?

Optical illusions on the photos of course, best one would be from a distance away.