MS250 spraying fuel ???

HDAV

So not used saw for a while but a friend has moved house to an over grown garden and Ioffered to help clear it out for them.

got the saw out and it started but wouldn’t idle and when revved up something was spraying onto my right hand (throttle)  seem to be coming in a fine mist from the fuel cap and between tank and handle. 

called into stihl dealer picked up a new o ring for fuel tank and while i was there a gallon of motomix and a some bar oil. 

ran it up tonight emptied the tank and refilled with moto mix fitted the o ring and now running good, hunts a little on idle, haven’t cut anything yet but seems to run sweet 

can it really be that simple 🤷‍♂️

Edited by HDAV
Spelling

It may be that simple. As long as the saw isn't over-revving on the top end, picks up OK and idles plus no fuel is escaping....all is good....and use will show that.

Fuel tanks often have positive pressure in them so it is possible the fuel in the tank got warm, expanded and caused a leak that vapourised the fuel. Just make sure the saw doesn't get used if the leak does come back....fuel vapour is very easy to ignite! 

Oh..check the chain brake works and the chain catcher is all OK...seen all sorts in my time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replaced the catcher when I got it and brake works well it idles with no chain movement now, the carb adjusters seem hard to access? Are they that weird torx not torx fitting? To adjust? I’m sure I bought the tool when I got the saw and ordered the chain catcher 

probaly put it with the valve gauge for the km90 🤦‍♂️ No idea where that went 🤷‍♂️

Edited by HDAV
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I've had to change a few of those O-rings on older Stihls, they seem to take on a set so don't last forever.

Yeah I didn’t even think it was an o ring initially thought it was a square sided gasket when dealer gave me a standard o ring I was confused! But it fits! The old one had lost its shape completely 66p for the fix! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

These and MS230s have carb adjustment holes at strange angles making adjustment not the easiest. The ones I have seen have had a limiter cap on the H screw but these machines have been manufactured since the dark ages (025) so have had a few build variations.

What is the implement for adjustment ? Flat screw driver?

mine is a 2006/8 ms250 🤷‍♂️

Edited by HDAV

On the ones I have seen, a flat screwdriver. Get a bright torch and shine it down the hole and see what you have. 

The limit caps often don't let you get flat out revs down to an acceptable rpm once the saw is fully loosened up so these are often removed, the carb adjusted then refitted. The MS461 and 460 are common saws that need this 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm garden cleared but saw not running right 🤷‍♂️

runs fine on its side pull cord up but in normal. Cutting down like cutting up a log it stalls as soon as chain touched wood? 

also still spraying fuel onto my right hand from where between the top of tank and handle? 🤷‍♂️

It did what I needed to after a fashion…..but glad I wasn’t chopping firewood! 

what should I do? Not wanting to spend lots as I don’t use it much I use the pope saw on my combi more should I sell the MS250 and just buy a KM94? 

part of the reason for buying it was frustration at using a a husqvarna 235xp which as doing the same 🤔

BTW using Motomix recently purchased 

Edited by HDAV