makita EA4300 help please.

neiln

Damn it! Family life, rushing and saws don't mix....I hate trying to fit a bit of cutting in late afternoon for this reason

Okay, Makita 4300 (dolmar 410 I believe). First use in a couple of months but was run dry and winterised (run with choke once out of fuel/pulled over a dozen times to get the carb dry too). Filled with fresh mix. Stats right up but stalls as I pull the trigger. Repeat 3 or 6 times.... Hmm. Blocked high jet in thinking. Had once before with a different saw and managed to get it to clear itself pretty quickly so . ... Start and let it idle to warm a little, pull trigger gently and after a few goes I get it to pick up, although not quite right. Try a few cuts, still not right after 3 or so, so when it stalls I think it's time to get it apart before I do damage.

Ok, air filter clean enough, pull carb off, remove diaphragm and the cap the other side, all looks clean and saw is only a year old so diaphragm in good condition. Not sure if I'm going to need to do more or not.... Before I can try the saw again how the **** do I get this hose back where it should be!?!!! In disconnecting it from the carb I accidently pulled and disconnected it from the other end. Is that the impulse line? Whatever. How the hell do I get to it and where it should connect? Please tell me I don't need to completely dismantle the saw.... But I can't even see where it should be connected and fear I'm going to have to take the jug off to access!

So.....3 problems, 1. What was my original fault? 2 if it's the carb, how do I fix it? 3. How to reconnect the hose?

I put the saw back together to keep the bits in one place and put it away before the light went.... Now I'm sulking.

Photos of the hose, where it connects on the Zama carb and where I could see the other end.

PXL_20221016_161242103.thumb.jpg.6a170b5b8e08fe4f18ed359c2c3d5c91.jpgPXL_20221016_161250357.thumb.jpg.0d3f2863821afe04d171ce5902206c9b.jpgPXL_20221016_161302172_MP.thumb.jpg.c1810648e7c46543dbf8e9544b194d6e.jpg

I'm peeved as I take such care not to leave fuel in it and to use e free.....********!

Yup looks like an impulse line, not sure why the hose looks so short, take apart and try again? 

The issue you have sounds like lack of fuel at high revs. I would normally strip and clean the carb, perhaps remove the H & L screw, bit of carb cleaner down each, check the pump diaphragm and gauze strainer, reassemble and try. If it is still the same, try richening the H screw and see if it gets it going....turn it out a couple of turns which should make it run super rich then turn the screw in until the engine has a slight fours troking at max revs and try it again.

The saw looks relatively fresh, a new fuel filter may help as well.

• Like 1

thanks spud, yes the saw is only about 16 months old.

ok so 1st problem, good, yes lack of fuel at WOT.  i will get some carb cleaner and repeat clean although it looked spotless.  if that doesn't work I'll try the H andLscrews as you suggest, ta.  

Just realised, there was no strainer under the pump diaphragm.  Is that possible?  should I get one?  is it in a service kit?

implus line,  ok, that problem i created in beling a bit heavy handed as I pulled on it to get it off the carb, I tugged it off the far end.  I can pull it right out through the plastic bulkhead now.  it isn'tlong, errm...4 inches maybe?  cold it be in to pieces?  Anyway....where have i pulled it off from?  the case somewhere..but how the **** do i get to it?  please tell me I don't need to strip the saw to bits and take the jug off!  I'm feeling I may have to.

thank you hilly....so pretty much where my fing is pointing in the last photo....cripes.   top plastics...the one around the spark plug and over th top of the cylinder...plus the bulk head the line goes through? Oh hang on...pimer bulb, ...so the whole black plastic top....so chainbrake handle off and main handle too I think to get that off...... heck its going to be a fiddle to get at i can see....oh dear.  oh well.  

I guess i jst need to take it slow and steady....glad i chose to leave it tonight...not like me, i hate walking away from a job

12 minutes ago, neiln said:

thanks spud, yes the saw is only about 16 months old.

ok so 1st problem, good, yes lack of fuel at WOT.  i will get some carb cleaner and repeat clean although it looked spotless.  if that doesn't work I'll try the H andLscrews as you suggest, ta.  

Just realised, there was no strainer under the pump diaphragm.  Is that possible?  should I get one?  is it in a service kit?

implus line,  ok, that problem i created in beling a bit heavy handed as I pulled on it to get it off the carb, I tugged it off the far end.  I can pull it right out through the plastic bulkhead now.  it isn'tlong, errm...4 inches maybe?  cold it be in to pieces?  Anyway....where have i pulled it off from?  the case somewhere..but how the **** do i get to it?  please tell me I don't need to strip the saw to bits and take the jug off!  I'm feeling I may have to.

There should be a hole under the pump diaphragm cover about the diameter of a pencil, thus should have a fine stainless gauze mesh in it. If this isn't present, you should fit one but it is strange if this is the first time apart unless it has been in to a repair fella that has lost it and couldn't be arsed to fit a new one.

The impulse...not done enough Makitas to say more but one end should connect to the brass elbow on the carb pump diaphragm and the other end should connect to a brass connector near the join on the 

first time apart...  i suppose its possible i've missed it falling out/waived the carb about and dropped it while i was focusing on the diaphragm in my other hand....didn't think so though....and when i looked in the well to check it was clean it was still full of petrol so i can't have waived it about....odd.  looks like I'll have to get one of them then.

right....so lots of plastics to strip off to get to the side of the cylinder somewhere fiddly....okay....a PITA task but should be ok if i take it steady and ensure i don't get frustrated!

thanks spud