vehicle problems !

combined tree services

After 6 months you've just got to admit the fact that you've bought a nail and move on mate!!

If it fell apart 6 days after purchase then id try and get money back etc but 6 months is a long time.

6 months is a long time but in fairnes the problems only came to light when the vehicle was taken into a ford dealership , i had already had problems within the first month and the chap was not willing to sort it out then , thankfull i have kept all the pm's from him and to him on here , i would not normally go this far but surly when it becomes clear that the work he carried out was sub standard and has now resulted in the truck becoming dangerous then something has to be done ??

It does state clearly on the mot sheet that an mot does not prove mechanical soundness, only that it is roadworthy according to a set of rules.

correct but one of the "rules" is that headlights must be aligned correctly and secured in place , they should also be in a servicable condition ! i dont think that abletying them in the wrong position would pass an mot - well i have thats according to the mot inspector at the dealership anyway .

" although im no expert welder i know that a weld should never break as a decent weld is in fact stronger than the metal thats been welded"

Urban Myth!:001_tongue:

The weld metal is often 'stronger' than the parent metal.The makers of welding consumables do point out that the tests are only indicative of the likely weld strength.Most welds break on the borders between the parent metal and the filler material.

What i'm rambling towards is; be very cautious around welds.Mild steel is usually a case of what you see is what you get, higher strength materials and stainless steels can fail without any warning.:scared1:

Hope it all works out for you:001_smile:

" although im no expert welder i know that a weld should never break as a decent weld is in fact stronger than the metal thats been welded"

Urban Myth!:001_tongue:

The weld metal is often 'stronger' than the parent metal.The makers of welding consumables do point out that the tests are only indicative of the likely weld strength.Most welds break on the borders between the parent metal and the filler material.

What i'm rambling towards is; be very cautious around welds.Mild steel is usually a case of what you see is what you get, higher strength materials and stainless steels can fail without any warning.:scared1:

Hope it all works out for you:001_smile:

i totally agree , but it is guite clear when you look at a broken weld you can normally see just how much penetration there was , in the case of this guys welding i would say there was next to none , the box sections that were welded have come appart leaving the weld on one section and the other piece of box section looks to be clean , it was proven he could not weld to save his life then the doors to the tool box all but fell of - once again the weld had faile probably due to poor prep work , poor welding skills , only using co2 and not argoshield , and low power diy welder . i think it was a combination of most if not all of the above

im that fellow arbtalker that sold that ranger.and to me 6 months on and various problems have occurred with the vehicle.who knows what abuse this man has been putting it threw bearing in mind this is a ford ranger not a landrover defender.overloading and using the vehicle in very demanding conditions as we have all had to do sometimes could of caused a weld to fail.this vehicle was fine when it left me and i had been using for many months right up until the point of sale.

i totally agree , but it is guite clear when you look at a broken weld you can normally see just how much penetration there was , in the case of this guys welding i would say there was next to none , the box sections that were welded have come appart leaving the weld on one section and the other piece of box section looks to be clean , it was proven he could not weld to save his life then the doors to the tool box all but fell of - once again the weld had faile probably due to poor prep work , poor welding skills , only using co2 and not argoshield , and low power diy welder . i think it was a combination of most if not all of the above

it all depends on the weld prep and quality of equipment and the welder himself, a descent weld should be as strong if not stronger than the material thats being welded yes but alot depends on consumables being used (preferably not cheap ones from machine m***) however after a weld has been put in , it is then the HAZ (heat affected zone , area around the weld) that is then the weakest part.:001_huh: