vehicle problems !

combined tree services

hiya guys im hoping some of you may well have some advice for me -

about 6 months ago a bought a vehicle for work , i went up to see the vehicle and all seemed to be ok , i was made aware that the vehicle had been in a cat c shunt but the repair work had been carried out by a "professional" everything appeared to be good with the vehicle so i paid for it prat cash and part company cheque , anyway since then i have had several serious problems with it of which i have put down to experiance but where do you draw the line ?? today i noticed that one of the welds on the tipper frame had actually broke not although im no expert welder i know that a weld shold never break as a decent weld is in fact stronger than the metal thats been welded . im seriously looking to take action now as its really not funny anymore ! the implications of what could happen should another weld fail does not bare thinking about so im really just looking for some advice really . :thumbdown:

Was it a private sale or dealer?

I'm no lawyer but I think the situation is that if the vehicle is sold as "in a roadworthy condition" then it must be so, and the law is on your side. Trouble is 6 months seems like a long time to have taken to realise this. It may be worth going back to seller, and if no joy maybe small claims court, but you will have to prove your case - i.e. have the vehicle indenpendantly deemed unsafe - at which point you've reached a point of no return. I wouldn't throw good money after bad though, sometimes we all have to take a suck.

I bought what looked like a lovely family owned 110 defender couple years back, few weeks later the gearbox blew itself to bits and turned out to have had no oil in it. Just had to take it on the chin.:confused1:

Looks like you need an Independant vehicle inspection mate if you think you have a case.

I had a problem with a shitroen last year that had engine trouble only 3 - 4 months after purchase. I could have went down the civil courts route but decided against it as Trading standards etc didnt seem interested.

So i dint bother proceeding.

You Dont have much comeback on 2nd hand stuff unless they are warranted.

thanks for the replies guys , the truck is being inspected by V.O.S.A within the next two weeks , it went in for an mot inspection and the guy was amazed it managed to get an mot just before i bought it as the head lights have been cable tied in , when they changed the wing they simply cut the old one off with a grinder and welded the new one on to what was left , the eletricks were bodged and as i said in my first post the welds are now breaking on the tipper chassis !! oh and to make it worse it was actually sold to me by a fellow Arbtalker

Woops, arbtalk gossip corner! This is better than telly. :blushing:

If the last MOT was a dodgy item then its going to get very serious for someone very quickly. If its that serious then you are doing the right thing I'd say, just don't waste any money on lawyers, the facts are the facts, thats all you need for small claims, though if its a fellow arbtalker I'm sure it won't need to get that far.

Bad Luck Fella.

Woops, arbtalk gossip corner! This is better than telly. :blushing:

If the last MOT was a dodgy item then its going to get very serious for someone very quickly. If its that serious then you are doing the right thing I'd say, just don't waste any money on lawyers, the facts are the facts, thats all you need for small claims, though if its a fellow arbtalker I'm sure it won't need to get that far.

Bad Luck Fella.

i realy hope it does not have to go that far too , but its now going to be left in the habds of vosa , i just realy hope that who ever did the mot was not a friend or member of family to the guy who sold it to me .

I always though that Cat C vehicles need an engineer's report before going back on the road :confused1: but it seems not...

Category C write off - The Consumer Forums

That seems to suggest that the VIC and MOT don't really count for much. If you think about it, the MOT doesn't check if vehicles are bent or twisted, and as far as a tester is concerned the cable tied light probably isn't a failure as long as it points in the right direction and doesn't flap about. The quality of the wing repair is probably not an MOT failure either, testers seem more concerned that the wheels are covered, that parts are secure and that there are no sharp edges- it IS a bodge job, but it is also enough to pass an MOT I would think.

I think you have been sold a pup, but you might not have much of a leg to stand on sadly.