Why are CONIFERS dying...what is usual lifespan?

Julie123

Question

Hi, newbie here.
My new new neighbours put in decking, without mentioning to me prior to doing. This was waayy higher than council limit. Anyhow, one of my beautiful tall conifers soon went brown. I had this removed and tried to put it out of my mind as to what caused this over 30 year old conifer to die. Now the other beautiful conifer looks to be dying. What are the chances of two dying?  Can I save it ?  Can I make  a claim against neighbour.?  They were both growing happily in same corner of garden where the decking was installed. Thank for any comments. 🙂

20220924_121740.jpg

20220924_121723.jpg

IMG_20220924_103943_597.jpg

10 answers to this question

There could be many factors to this it could be just a coincidence that your neighbour has put the decking up and they have died. It could be a lack of water it’s been a real dry year it could of been some fungus honey fungus Mabie? It could be red spider mite or they have been sprayed off  Or they could have dug down and cut some of the main roots. But it could be unintentional or it could be intentional it’s all hard to prove many factors I think 🤔 it’s just something what you will have to just take on the chin I no it’s not nice but how can you prove it? 👍 

Edited by Patrick goulding
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your kind reply. I really appreciate! I think your comments echo what I am thinking too. I am gutted,  though I do think that neighbour has damaged the roots somewhere along the line. It is literally next to the decking. He is quite arrogant and didn't even mention anything to me. Which from what I've read...its always a good idea  to talk to your neighbour. Especially when you put raised decking in waaay above the legal requirement. Now I have a privacy issue,  they can see right into my home. (Sorry! Totally off topic 🙄

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  😁🙏

• Thanks 1

Plant something else, if you really like conifer they grow pretty quick, be back up to that height before you know it.  And decking shouldn't affect new roots.

Annoying I know, but for the cost of a couple of new ones probably better than a drawn out battle with the neighbour?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NJA said:

Plant something else, if you really like conifer they grow pretty quick, be back up to that height before you know it.  And decking shouldn't affect new roots.

Annoying I know, but for the cost of a couple of new ones probably better than a drawn out battle with the neighbour?

I have to agree. Thank you for your kind response.  👍

2 hours ago, Terrain Aeration said:

I had two conifers die at a clients and as I drive I have noticed a lot of dead conifers also willows this year 

How interesting! Perhaps it been the prolonged heat we've had. 🤔 

Thank you so much for your kind reply.