I’ve seen everything I can find between SRT vs DRT but I have one question!

docsavagE

I haven’t been able to find this answer. I began as an inexperienced climber starting very low and learning. 

This is my question and I can’t seem to find an answer but maybe it’s because it’s so obvious I just don’t know…

Using DRT to get into a tree, you are relying on one crotch. If it fails you’re out of luck.

SRT seems glaringly obvious that if something went wrong with the crotch supporting you, well it would be a small drop until something else catches you whereas ascent on DRT you are out of luck.

What the hell am I missing here? I understand the benefits of ascent in SRT and Maneuverability in DRT but as far as trusting the tree and yourself, isn’t SRT a clear winner?

I must be missing something and please forgive my ignorance but I can’t find an answer to what seems to be a glaring question?

SRT is doubling the force you're putting on the tie in point. Think of it if you were pulling trees over on the floor and doubling your pulling force. With DRT ideally you want to be around the main stem where possible so if one branch fails the next one would catch you. Or you can wrap a cambium saver or set a sling/pulley if you need to return to that part of the tree  With the two rope working that came in a couple of years ago this makes it less of a problem for the people who stick to it

Not sure there necessarily is an answer to your question. People tend to use what they prefer to use.

I would say though that with Ddrt there is less of a tendency to set and work from the same anchor that you set from the ground. Its more likely for someone on Ddrt to setting for a half decent throwline shot to get them into the main(climbable) part of the crown, often settling for a large limb, as a pose to an SRT climber who might want to get a suitable anchor from the get go.

From my limited knowledge of SRT...

1. It depends if you're tip or base tied. If tip tied, it acts exactly as SRT if your anchor point fails...

2. If base tied, you may have a short/medium drop which is still quite dangerous in itself, there's a reason you don't climb higher than your anchor point! You also open up the risk of more external factors damaging your rope - the new lad with a saw nicking it, being damaged by falling timber, hit by machinery, etc.

3. As said above, increasing forces on the anchor point.

Correct, while the forces on your dirt anchor point are less than a base tied srt line, you don’t have to isolate the srt line. It can be going through multiple unions and there is some degree of backup. 

The forces at the top aren’t often double on a base tie either, as there’s potentially a great deal of friction spreading the load. 

Base ties are excellent for accessing medium-large trees. 

You have answered the question yourself I think and right in your observation assuming the srt is base tied and through or over multiple unions.

A large part comes to learning what is safe to tie into with all of the factors which effect that; tree species/characteristics, angle of pull etc.

Both systems are plenty safe enough used in the correct way.

As mentioned by someone else a top tied srt puts the same force on your tie in point as a drt/mrt. 

A base tied srt has a theoretical x2 loading of the tie in point. Although in practise is less due to friction being added as the rope passes over the bark and through unions.