Hello from a newbie...

Screwdriver

Hi, found this site and like the look of it so here I am. With a question for y'all. 

First an intro. I am a lifelong biker used to hanging out on biker forums, restoring, refurbishing etc. Moved on to metalworking, welding, machining and restoring old equipment (especially vices!) and more recently a bit of blacksmithing, knifemaking and other malarky.

I'm based in that there London and having done some work for a tree surgeon, I couldn't help asking for odd bits of wood from more exotic species which have to make way for developers. I just got my hands on this walnut twig:

IMG_7812.thumb.jpeg.498362b5b90742ca140e4b699ee7d53c.jpeg

So here I am wanting to pick some brains. 

Was it worth all that effort? Assuming I know how to wield a chainsaw, should I slice this up now before stacking? How do I decide how to slice it (might want a live edge thing)? Been asked about saving a chunk for rifle stock, do they mean that precious dark heart of which there is very little?

I may be able to acquire the entire root which is getting dug out later this week. My understanding is that's the best bit for stock, figure, knife scales etc.

Questions, questions, questions. Anyway. Hello!

Screwd.

Edited by Screwdriver

6 hours ago, Screwdriver said:

Hi, found this site and like the look of it so here I am. With a question for y'all. 

First an intro. I am a lifelong biker used to hanging out on biker forums, restoring, refurbishing etc. Moved on to metalworking, welding, machining and restoring old equipment (especially vices!) and more recently a bit of blacksmithing, knifemaking and other malarky.

I'm based in that there London and having done some work for a tree surgeon, I couldn't help asking for odd bits of wood from more exotic species which have to make way for developers. I just got my hands on this walnut twig:

IMG_7812.thumb.jpeg.498362b5b90742ca140e4b699ee7d53c.jpeg

So here I am wanting to pick some brains. 

Was it worth all that effort? Assuming I know how to wield a chainsaw, should I slice this up now before stacking? How do I decide how to slice it (might want a live edge thing)? Been asked about saving a chunk for rifle stock, do they mean that precious dark heart of which there is very little?

I may be able to acquire the entire root which is getting dug out later this week. My understanding is that's the best bit for stock, figure, knife scales etc.

Questions, questions, questions. Anyway. Hello!

Screwd.

There is not a great deal of dark heart wood in that stick so probably not worth anyone's time to come and mill it into boards . If you are talking about firewood then yes ring it up and split it as soon as you can . Get it under cover but with good air flow . The root might have some burr that may interest some one .

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

There is not a great deal of dark heart wood in that stick so probably not worth anyone's time to come and mill it into boards . If you are talking about firewood then yes ring it up and split it as soon as you can . Get it under cover but with good air flow . The root might have some burr that may interest some one .

Thanks, I'll be chopping it up myself and I am hoping to also get my hands on the root which is coming out via a digger.

Appreciate it's not cabinet grade or whatnot but it's still a decent wood for my purposes. Should fetch a few knife scales out of it at least...

I'll fire up the old woodburner for the rest.

• Like 2