Aly_M

Question

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give an idea of what this could be? And if there's a possibility it could be a type of phytophthora?

For context....we have a very large maple tree approx 5m away from this tree, (not rooted on our land but it hangs over) which since last Summer has rapidly declined to the point it is now dead. We had an arboriculturist out who's opinion was that it was likely phytophthora and also had evidence of a secondary honey fungus infection. 

We are really struggling to get the ministry of defence to remove it and are now worried for the health of other plants in our garden including this one which was previously fine. And also the other dozens of trees in the area!

Any opinions would be most welcome. Thanks,

Alice

20220523_113458.jpg

20220523_113441.jpg

20220523_112545.jpg

20220523_112509.jpg

16533098306111452868677456654131.jpg

5 answers to this question

It does look like a bleeding canker but I didn't think spruces were affected by any phytopfera if yours is a spruce?? Neither did I think maples were susceptible.

Phytopfera ramorum and the more recent P. kernoviae affect a wide range of shrubs, oak and larch but not noted on spruce, it is notifiable.

More recently P. pluvialis has been found on a range of conifers but again not noted on spruce, again this is notifiable so it may be worth contacting the forestry Commission if you think a phytopfera has killed the maple and infected your tree.

56 minutes ago, Anno said:

fairly standard for Cyprus oozing sap normal and does not indicate a problem with the tree.

Thanks. It's not a Cyprus though - fairly certain it's either a fir or a spruce (most likely the latter on closer inspection). It's never leaked sap like this before in the 5+ years we've been living here either so unusual it would suddenly start like this I would imagine if it was normal?

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

It does look like a bleeding canker but I didn't think spruces were affected by any phytopfera if yours is a spruce?? Neither did I think maples were susceptible.

Phytopfera ramorum and the more recent P. kernoviae affect a wide range of shrubs, oak and larch but not noted on spruce, it is notifiable.

More recently P. pluvialis has been found on a range of conifers but again not noted on spruce, again this is notifiable so it may be worth contacting the forestry Commission if you think a phytopfera has killed the maple and infected your tree.

Thanks for your reply. My understanding from researching on the forestry commission site etc is that Norway Maple are susceptible to phytophthora. Whatever the maple has it killed what was a mature (20+ years old and 10ish ft high) maple in less than 9 months. 

I did previously notify the forestry commission re: the maple, over a month ago. And again have sent a message for the other tree, which I couldn't decide if it was a spruce or a young Douglas fir? Any idea how long they usually take to respond or if they often just don't?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Aly_M said:

I did previously notify the forestry commission re: the maple, over a month ago. And again have sent a message for the other tree, which I couldn't decide if it was a spruce or a young Douglas fir? Any idea how long they usually take to respond or if they often just don't?

I don't know if or when FC respond as I have not reported anything for over 30 years.

If it were a Douglas fir I would report it on the tree alert section of FC website as a suspected P.pluvialis but I think it is a spruce, possibly brewers.