New kiln

Big Beech

As of yesterday I have no more water extraction from the kiln. I’ve had 15 litres of water out in total with negligible amounts for a thimble the past few days.

today is day 11 and have now turned the dehumidifier off and have started the heat schedule to 140*f and was at 131 when I left this morning.

humidity had plummeted to 18% and as the dehumidifier cannot extract that last amount I am running the extraction vent to exhaust any minor moisture.

once the 48hr cycle is completed the kiln will be left naturally to cool. 🤞

Edited by Big Beech
  • Like 4

I’m intending to use this gadget to measure the RH, temperature and MC - not expensive and seemingly well made, and you don’t need to open the box. 

The Protimeter BLE is a compact battery-powered device that measures and logs Relative Humidity, Temperature and...

2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I’m intending to use this gadget to measure the RH, temperature and MC - not expensive and seemingly well made, and you don’t need to open the box. 

The Protimeter BLE is a compact battery-powered device that measures and logs Relative Humidity, Temperature and...

I use the inkbird humidity and heat controller, they can be found on popular sites.

0D646659-7772-4BC9-8C7E-17660EFC8BE5.jpeg

Edited by Big Beech

Airflow is relatively important, to much and dried to quick and to little takes to long.

vanity fans as far as I could see had no volume figures available and those that did it was like a hurricane! I need to look in to my fan issues again as one has failed again, but that’s cheap fans from china for you.

This morning I was able to get some boards out of the kiln, mc figures where around 6-10% on average over a board that is 8ft x4. Few zones where slightly higher up to 12 where stickers had rested.

three boards have been readmitted for a bit longer. One was a thicker 3” board so as to be expected that wasn’t so dry and was reading 14% and the other two where around the 12 mark.

overal very happy 😃 

9B55597B-53EC-406F-9B52-B09C46AD825D.jpeg

43E011B3-6D5A-4523-A1D2-F3B5E19EA611.jpeg

6519C2CF-3F92-490E-9948-9615DA1D89BD.jpeg

3A0ED44B-9FBD-4AAA-9B45-F51104DE16BF.jpeg

3DD75A7D-D442-4E1D-AE60-43146DBB3EB4.jpeg

958AB68C-7143-4E6E-8177-70E415DC26A9.jpeg

69952D63-9914-4B50-B778-7D9866E053DB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 24/03/2022 at 13:34, Big Beech said:

As of yesterday I have no more water extraction from the kiln. I’ve had 15 litres of water out in total with negligible amounts for a thimble the past few days.

today is day 11 and have now turned the dehumidifier off and have started the heat schedule to 140*f and was at 131 when I left this morning.

humidity had plummeted to 18% and as the dehumidifier cannot extract that last amount I am running the extraction vent to exhaust any minor moisture.

once the 48hr cycle is completed the kiln will be left naturally to cool. 🤞