council work

billythegoat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill never be AA think its aload of crap. When i applied i thought were does a small compant fit in they want to know who answers your phone how quick what time you get up.

What a joke all for a little logo. I know a aa aprooved company seen some really crap jobs so how does that offer a good company.

JUST MEANS THEY CAN CHARGE MORE

I'm sure thats illegal and against some law and stuff laid down by Maggie Thatcher!

Yes it is illegal

they can stipulate criteria, ie insurances & policys conforming to legislation ie HSe employment law , equalops, equal pay , puwer, loler , etc etc

they can request standards to be met with proof, but cannot stipulate membership to voluntary trade or assurance associations/accreditations

its all to do with best value

So if you have suffered from this

you could write a letter to the cheif exec & the head of legal services & cc your local MP

drawing their attention to the matter,

that public funds must be spent in a transparant & fair way = Best Value ! & you await there response before seeking counsel

even if a contractor has been selected, if that selection process was illegal, the agreement will be nul & void

rgds

iain

its similar to some LA 's when giving permissins for works to protected trees they include a caviat to state that

works must be carried out to bs3998 by a qualified tree surgeon / arborist

the first half of the statement is fine however, they cannot put unfair burden on the tree owner ,

ie if that owner feels they can carry out the work themselves or employ others & conform to the standard, then they can !

that said when employing others to carryout the works other regs come into force duty of care , hse blah blah blah

this just goes to show that although the idea is well founded, ie good work is likely to be done by a professional

it is quite easy to transgress powers & authority.

I believe that that is possibly why some La state AA approval req'd, they maybe somewhat misguided imo

Hi all

Having just read through this thread with interest i have to say that it shows how useful Arbtalk can be as a resource tool.

Being new to the contracting world i have a million and 1 questions in my head on a daily basis and it often happens that i find answers on this site.

Just felt the need to thank all those that share their knowledge on this site so often, its really good to see!

Anyway, keep up the good work guys.

Craig

Yes it is illegal

they can stipulate criteria, ie insurances & policys conforming to legislation ie HSe employment law , equalops, equal pay , puwer, loler , etc etc

they can request standards to be met with proof, but cannot stipulate membership to voluntary trade or assurance associations/accreditations

its all to do with best value

So if you have suffered from this

you could write a letter to the cheif exec & the head of legal services & cc your local MP

drawing their attention to the matter,

that public funds must be spent in a transparant & fair way = Best Value ! & you await there response before seeking counsel

even if a contractor has been selected, if that selection process was illegal, the agreement will be nul & void

rgds

iain

Excellent bit of info there :thumbup1:

I thought it was something along the lines of "If you aint in the club then you cant do the work sorry!"

Although you've put it a lot better :001_smile:

Would be interesting to see a few LA brought up on this matter, may help some of the local smaller firms to get some work.

• 1 month later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Title: ARBORICULTURAL SERVICES

Quote Ref: GO 08121037/01

2. Awarding Authority: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London, W8 7NX. Tel: 020 7361 2767. Fax: 020 7361 3704. Email: [email protected]. (STEPHEN FULLER).

3. Contract type: Services.

Competitive contract notice.

4. Description: Contract for the provision of maintenance and planting services for the Borough's tree stock. The contract will be let on a schedule of rates basis for a term of 6 years with the option to extend by a further 3 years. The borough currently has approximately 7,000 street trees which are pruned on a 2/3 year cycle.

Contractors will be required to be approved by the Arboricultural Association, to demonstrate a proven ability to plant and maintain trees for an urban local authority, to work safely to exacting standards and be able to demonstrate in particular, a proven ability to undertake all aspects of arboricultural work within intensively used and congested areas of public highway.

For a copy of the Tender documents please apply in writing to Mr S. Fuller.

5. CPV Code(s): 77211500

6. NUTS code(s): UKI11

7. Main site or location of works, main place of delivery or main place of performance: Delivery to: Inner London - West.

NUTS code: UKI11.

8. Reference attributed by awarding authority: Not provided.

9. Estimated value of requirement: Category F: ¿1M to ¿5M.

10. Deadline for expressions of interest: 24.12.2008 (17:00).

11. Address to which they must be sent: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX. Tel: 020 7361 2767. E-mail: [email protected] (Mr S Fuller)

12. Other information: TKR-20081210-CB-256718

13. Submitted date: 11.12.2008.

topNew Search | Previous Contract | Next Contract | Back to List | Respond to this Opportunity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think its illegal ! Some LA's don't have the resources or knowledge to assess tree companies them selves so they choose to use AA AC as the benchmark. It saves then the hassle and if AA AC includes all the things they require then thats good enough.

I do think its immoral though. AA AT descriminates against small companies.

Some LA try and encourage small companies (in all fields) and if they are useing AA then then are going against their own policies and this should be challenged.