Switch from .325 to 3/8 p

Dilz

At the moment I run 1/4 3/8p .325 and 3/8 on my saws  - range from ms150 / Bi353 up to 661.  Don't run .404 - more the fool me.... use a full mix of different saws / bars, chains. 

Just toying with the idea of switching the 2 smaller ground saws (ms260, and a 346) over to 3/8p or up to 3/8 standard - reckon to switch down will give better performance 

Just thinking about reducing the different sizes of files I have to cart about on the daily.   Also sthil harp on about using 5.2mm  files for their 3/8 RS but I was always told its 5.5mm for 3/8 (5.2mm files are like unicorn turds around here...)  

Its probably not worth the faff but any thoughts ,much appreciated

I want to get away from .325 as well. Pretty much the same reason(s) as you. My 18” 251 is the only saw I have on it. One option is to sell that and replace with a 20” 400 on proper 3/8 but I hardly use it as it is. My 220 battery saw is 16” 3/8 picco. Hardly need the petrol saw. I’m about half way through a mini forestry job and have about three tonnes of cherry roadside. All done on battery power so far.

I've only ever run 3/8p and 3/8. Most 'light but pokey' mid range saws - MS241/261, CS501SX etc have sprocket and bar mount options for either. I'd only switch down- up woudl sap way too much power, whereas down you will notice a small increase with like for like chain angles.

I do like 3/8p for general work- it's fast enough, very forgiving of less than perfect sharpening and cheap to buy. Stihl do a full chisel variant too should you want it.