root gurdled sequoiadendron help

MattyF

Not sure what to do with this tree we will dead wood it but there is a lot of die back and im sure its down to a root gurdling the trunk

http://003-2.jpg

http://002-6.jpg

Die back is on the exact side... as this root and it also seems to be dieing back further whilst the rest of the canopy seems fine.. the problem is do i cut the offending root after dead wooding???

Hi Matty,

I am a new member here and trying to read through the posts and get familiar with who's who, but I keep getting distracted.

The base of the top photo seems to show more going on than just that girdling root shown in the lower photo. The overall tree has over the years lost a good 50% of it's green material, but what remains appears to be quite healthy with little recent dieback.

Obviously the constriction from that root is going to increase as the tree continues to grow, so yes, I would recommend you carefully cut out the exposed section.

However I can't help feeling that there was/is something else going on, do some research into site conditions over the last few years. The dieback is on the same side as the offending root..... but it is also on the same side as the lawn, (selective weed killer?), (treated water supply?), (did it dieback in one season?) etc. etc.

Root girdling does constrict, and we look after a tree with an Identical root, thought you might have worked the same job for a mo! ours isnt suffering die back. I suspect like the other fella this is more than just the root.

Roots do constrict, I even have photos of one tree throwing its roots around another and outbidding it for the space and several where you can clearly see the old depression where once another tree stood close but has long since decayed away and new roots have migrated towards this new food source.

It does happen, but a bigger problem in small trees and nursery stock/planting out stages. one tiny root like this on a seqioua isnt IMO going to be that big an issue.

Hi doug welcome to arbtalk I dont think or am aware of any thing going on in that garden since 1908???i doubt touched for 35years with the exeption of the lawn being cut .....looking at the first pic of the overall tree the die back back follows in a straight line from that root im not to sure either but given what i have been told and driving past it for the last 15 years its the only thing i can think of.

I think i will cut the root though.

Root girdling does constrict, and we look after a tree with an Identical root, thought you might have worked the same job for a mo! ours isnt suffering die back. I suspect like the other fella this is more than just the root.

Roots do constrict, I even have photos of one tree throwing its roots around another and outbidding it for the space and several where you can clearly see the old depression where once another tree stood close but has long since decayed away and new roots have migrated towards this new food source.

It does happen, but a bigger problem in small trees and nursery stock/planting out stages. one tiny root like this on a seqioua isnt IMO going to be that big an issue.

Like I said I don't think its a big a problem as our American friends make! pot bound immature nursery stock and poor planting pits are a problem I'll agree, along with compaction..

I've ground out and air-spade excavated thousands of trees, I'm talking from experience.................