Arb-Mycota what do you want from books?

Some of us (an ever increasing army I believe) Because the one gift we can leave as a legacy is 'our passion'

Maybe a book aimed at & for joe public, is perhaps of wider significance.

I think the the key approach is to take the attitude of David Attenborough, to increase awareness and appreciation of nature by demonstrating it`s beauty to the wider public. This is something that a number of people already do on this forum and although this is to a limited audience it`s effects are potent.

Remember Tony there are far more people inspired by your posts and those of others than actually reply. :001_smile:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats good advice, thanks.

i intend to split it in two, bought together or in part, some folk will want the heavy reading ecology etc, others like many in here will want a straight forward manual of decay and identification risk level pathogenicity etc

Lots of interesting feedback so far. Other than putting all of this information

together in a palatable format, which I believe you will do:thumbup1:. There have been many that have said they would buy a copy with out knowing the price. Your price point could be the hardest part of this endeavor.

Many factors will need to be considered for the bottom line price, not to mention the cost for your emotional Capital investment as well. I also believe this can and may become bigger than some folks know:001_cool:, based on the comments posted. I look forward to the finish product's since I believe your endeavor will soon take upon a life of it's own, under your control of course!

All the best

easy-lift guy

I think the the key approach is to take the attitude of David Attenborough, to increase awareness and appreciation of nature by demonstrating it`s beauty to the wider public. This is something that a number of people already do on this forum and although this is to a limited audience it`s effects are potent.

Remember Tony there are far more people inspired by your posts and those of others than actually reply. :001_smile:

Sir David Attenborough is my ultimate hero, mentor and influence, it would be impossible for my work to not emulate and reflect that influence, so woven is it through the fabric of my mind, and others who have a "natural inclusion" approach.

as for the others, the silent ones, i am aware, it is the support and encouragement of these people that make me push on despite a great feeling of insecurity, maybe modesty that I am just a student of teacher tree and therefore a feeling that, well a fear that it will be perceived to be some kind of claim, it is far from that.

all i do is express my utter fascination and delight in a subject that has gripped me and held me in awe for all of my working life, and I cannot contain it, even when some people make me feel like the court jester for my lack of formal education and etiquette in matters that they make me feel i am not entitled to speak of.

It is a personal affair, and i will not subscribe to a dry format that does not reflect my love and compassion for the life of trees and their associated organisms, i cannot, and will not.

This will be my work my view, a work of love and passion and it will reflect my life amoung the trees, not that view composed of the work of others, or confined to strict academic etiquettes.

This will be a work of art and of love, not excluding science but combining them both because nature is not the work of man, WE are the work of it.

Well, I think if you can convey that enthusiasm on paper it will be infectious. Look at how Brian Cox (love him or hate him) has made physics more popular, a few progams with him have been far more valuable than 1000 dull lectures. If the same can be done for trees, nature, whatever then then that`s a good think......hmmm "Wonders of the ecosystem".... :biggrin:

I hope you see it through. :thumbup:

Well, I think if you can convey that enthusiasm on paper it will be infectious. Look at how Brian Cox (love him or hate him) has made physics more popular, a few progams with him have been far more valuable than 1000 dull lectures. If the same can be done for trees, nature, whatever then then that`s a good think......hmmm "Wonders of the ecosystem".... :biggrin:

I hope you see it through. :thumbup:

My hands type like edward scissor hands prunes, as we speak they fill the pages but the task is large and the work is only just beginning!

its taken a while to start the flow, but now its picking momentum, im a gass bag by nature:laugh1:

Good luck Tony writing is both deeply rewarding and incredibly frustrating...my advice is to get yourself a good (experienced) editor...you might have to pay for that.

WOT! pay somebody to limit what i say! crikey i dont let people edit me for free let alone pay for the pleasure of being told where and when to shut up!:lol:

thanks sean, good advice.

my plan is to be free as a PDF, that way its truly in keeping with my nature.

I've avoided asking this question for fear of being laughed off the forum!

I intend to write a book entitled Arb-Mycota a book thats strictly for us arbs, something to fill what is at present a massive void. There are so few books on the subject and I wonder what you think is lacking in the ones you have?

If you could ask an author for additional stuff to that currently avaliable what would you ask for?

what do you want or need from such a book?

Do you want references style books or field portable books with need to know info?

Or reference books that cost a firtune and dare not take from the office to the site?

Would you be interested in the red data list species for ecology conservation for example?

i am genuinely interested in what ALL of you want from a book of this kind.

your requests, questions, needs, desires are all apppreciated.

Hi Hama, just clear info, need to know stuff, without a story, that can be used as reference material- in large print and simply written, my eyes are very bad and i think im not alone, good example - maual of wood decays in trees , by K.Weber,C.Mattheck its a great field book an does the job also try to keep the cost down ,you know how much money we all make:lol:hope that helps