Freelance Climbers Kit

onelab

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Question for all you freelancers out there.

Do you supply your own heavy duty rigging equipment? ie big porta wrap (or other lowering device) and heavy duty rope? I'm thinking maybe 16mm+

Also to people who use freelancers. Do you expect them to carry this type of gear?

Cheers

Dan

I would always favour someone with a full range of saws (including 2 x 200t's) and full rigging kit even if they were £30 a day more, due to fact that I usually only get a subby in when all resources are used.

Hi

Do you supply your own heavy duty rigging equipment? ie big porta wrap (or other lowering device) and heavy duty rope? I'm thinking maybe 16mm+

Also to people who use freelancers. Do you expect them to carry this type of gear?

Cheers

Dan

No

and

No

The firm taking on the work should have the necessary gear and expertise to carry out lowering operations, if not they shouldnt be in the game :thumbup1:

Unless the freelancer has some shiny gear they want to show off:thumbup:

No

and

No

The firm taking on the work should have the necessary gear and expertise to carry out lowering operations, if not they shouldnt be in the game :thumbup1:

Unless the freelancer has some shiny gear they want to show off:thumbup:

I do contract work where lowering kit is required constantly, if I then get a call from council for emergency job where rigging is needed, I get a subby climber in with a lowering kit to cover one of the jobs. Also some climbers prefer using there own rigging kit. I suppose I could buy another lowering kit, but I dont think this is necessary and I think the subby would prefer the extra sweet cash for providing.

Hi

Cheers

Dan

Yea I supply a basic 14 bull rope & asosiated rig blocks, porta wrap 'modified'!

Not needed most of the time as most co I wrk for have their own gear that they know how to use. Back up for the co's that don't have is good though! Keep it symple though..If you wrk for a co that don't know basic rig kit & u asked to do a comp rig out then be aware that the ground crew prob don't have a clue! This is when having your own kit & knolage in how to best use it comes into it's own..

I didn't realise people sub for more with a heavy rigging kit.

I

Of course you should charge more. I actually agree with the above comment that you shouldn't be working for companies that don't have rigging kit.

As we have discussed before, the company who quoted the job are the ones doing the job, and they have to fulflul the risk assessments etc. Getting a "subbie" in to do rigging if they do not carry the tickets themselves is not actually sub contracting the work. The company who quoted are still fully responsible for the works carried out and must be able to risk assess and insure the rigging element of the job.

Now if comapanies have rigging kits and tickets and they want an additional kit for extra jobs, or if freelancers prefer to use there own then thats fine, but rigging for companies that can't do it in house is bad form IMO.

Most firms I work for have their own rigging kit. I take my own in most of the time - personal preference - I like using my own kit. I get the same rate whether I use my rigging kit or not. I think a set of rigging kit, ground saw and an MS200T and spare go with the job - together with the tickets to use 'em of course!.