The Meripilus thread!

1. Although exit points for the fungi to fruit is not rare on Beech, as they often shed limbs. So I would think that the oportunity for 'high rise' mycelium of Meripilus to get air & fruit would not be so rare ?

2. Wonder how often Laetiporus has been 'seen' at height on Beech, when may be it's actualy been Meripilus.

1. The opportunity, yes, but the necessity probably not, as it mostly is better facilitated to fruit from the roots and/or the trunk's base where most of the mycelium is present decomposing the cellulose the fungus needs to develop FB's.

2. Not in my country, because in The Netherlands, L. sulphureus has never been found on beech (yet).

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The opportunity, yes, but the necessity probably not, as it mostly is better facilitated to fruit from the roots and/or the trunk's base where most of the mycelium is present decomposing the cellulose the fungus needs to develop FB's.

2. Not in my country, because in The Netherlands, L. sulphureus has never been found on beech (yet).

1. I here you regarding the availability of cellulose bit, but what about the hieght/spore dispersal factor. It's mostly (almost exclusively) known as a basal/root area fruiter, but fruiting at height would be a far more ergonomic & succesful strategem, would it not ?

Not going anywhere particularly with this, but if it has the ability to decay up the trunk & into the scaffolds, I would of though we would see more frequent examples of it fruiting at height.

2. the 'yet' bit is the important factor here I guess.

Interesting stuff this fungi malarky, I must look a little more into it sometime :biggrin:

1. what about the height/spore dispersal factor. It's mostly (almost exclusively) known as a basal/root area fruiter, but fruiting at height would be a far more ergonomic & succesful strategem, would it not ?

2. if it has the ability to decay up the trunk & into the scaffolds, I would of though we would see more frequent examples of it fruiting at height.

1. Have you ever seen the whitish "clouds" of thousands of dispersed spores in a split second coming from a single fruitbody being carried to greater height by the wind ? And I don't think it's about economical strategies, it's all about territorial claims inside or on the tree being the ruling factor. Why else would Pholiota squarrosa never and P. aurivella always fruit at great(er) height on a, i.e. the same tree ?

2. As you can see in my photo's, the mycelium only invades the center of the heart wood of both the trunk and the limbs, so it would have a hard time fruiting by penetrating and decomposing (soft rot) a thick remaining wall of intact wood and living tissue unless there's an open wound facilitating the way out or the tree has been cut as in my example of panic fruiting at 6 metres height.

An interesting snippet today from Olaf schmidts wood and tree fungi ISBN-10 3-540-32138-1

meripilus giganteus- ginat polypore

...... on stumps of freshly felled trees.......

kind of just re iterates Gerrits observations of it being a biotrophic parasite and panic fruiting doesnt it. sorry Ted!

Is the fruiting of merip on oak stumps cut decades ago because it takes a long time before the cellulose becomes exhausted?

Meripilus fruiting on oak stumps for decades ? Any documentation (pictures) ? And if so, IME oak stumps keep their root systems intact for decades after the felling of the tree producing lots of epicormic growth form activated dormant buds.

In fact, the oldest oaks in The Netherlands are standing in a circle surrounding the original (below ground level) coppice with a still intact root system from which the present trees originate.