LOLER couse

tomshiell

Yes STS, Kev is right.

I hope your boss will pay for your LOLER course, for one thing you will gain by learning something that you can then share with your boss and work mates, you will also be able to keep a hands on, check of equipment, everyday, unlike an external inspector. Your boss will also save money in the end.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OR you could do it and charge him to keep LOLER records for him? Plus other firms too?

I did it, simply to keep my own records in the future, but with a less than 50% pass rate, its not an easy one to get.

I am still waiting for a resit on the practical exam. Only one guy on our course passed, and I think he had done it before years ago.

Surely, from a business perspective, it would benefit your boss to do the LOLER course himself? Dont want to sound negative, but its gonna cost him a lot to put you through it, plus your time off every six months to test all ten kits, plus, you might leave one day and take your qualification with you.

It is an excellent course though.

I need to put together a Justification to my boss to put me through a LOLER Thorough Examination of Arboricultural Equipment course. I can then be the companies LOLER inspector, instead of getting in an outside bod in every 6 months. We have a minimum of 10 climbing kits to check plus assorted lowering kit.

All i need to know is what an inspector would normally charge per kit, versus the cost of putting me through all the relevant training?

Any help much appreciated.

the grinch will never do it tom :laugh1: while your convincing him can you try and get my autherisation sorted please ???:thumbup:

your boss sshoudnt realy do it himself as this can lead to passing kit that sholud fail, simply cuz he cant afford (be arsed) to get a new item.

as long as you are impartial when testing, you should be fine.

my boss uses an outside tester, who mainly does cranes/ fall arrest/mewp testing. its not very comforting when he picks up a piece of kit and says 'whats this then'!!

or when he rates a harness still with kit attached as one item, rather then testing the bits properly and seperatly, just because the climber left it on the harness when it was put away!!

your boss sshoudnt realy do it himself as this can lead to passing kit that sholud fail, simply cuz he cant afford (be arsed) to get a new item.

as long as you are impartial when testing, you should be fine.

my boss uses an outside tester, who mainly does cranes/ fall arrest/mewp testing. its not very comforting when he picks up a piece of kit and says 'whats this then'!!

or when he rates a harness still with kit attached as one item, rather then testing the bits properly and seperatly, just because the climber left it on the harness when it was put away!!

Why do people keep thinking that this is the case? I cannot understand why someone would put a failed piece of kit back in their climbers kit just to save a couple of quid? If you are THE responsible/competant person, i.e. the boss, then doing that would never enter your mind, surely?

All harnesses should be separated from their add ons for the LOLER examination. If your LOLER guy wont do that, time for a change. Try educated arb/ LOLER UK. Sounds like a great deal.

you have to understand there are many people who realy dont give a flying monkey about the system and regs.

iv worked for a few people with the attitude of;

wheres your lowerin rope? (i am the employee, You are supposed to provide the kit, not me)

ditto for climbin kit, ppe, etc

put red diesel in the van, cuz iv got a special licence for it (i kid you not)

if you want this kit, you get it.

we dont ponce aboutwith handsaws here.

the list is endless, but you get the picture? the record for ppe currently stands at one year to get me a secondhand pair of ballistics that are three sizes too big.

Yes, I totally agree and also have first hand experience of this. But they also will not bother to LOLER kit full stop, let alone entertain the idea of investing in their staff.

This guy has a boss who spends £500 every 6 months getting kit LOLERed and is willing to think about training investment. Which doesnt sound tight fisted, or irresponsible.

For those missing the point due to bitty info.

An employee can do the LOLER checks as long as there is a signed recording of a statement cleary stating that "no fear nor favour" is applied. the boss cant do it iether, nor would they want to it is a mind numbingly tedious boring job that i loathe we check ours weekly each and every item nut bolt and washer, then doug does it proper every six months, and it takes him a day to do four kits plus lowering maybe 1 and a half days.

but hes aslow lazy toad anyway!

Any Qualified LOLER examiner can inspect any ones' kit as long as they do it 'without fear or favour' this means employees, bosses, independents, even your mum (as long as she is qualified i.e. deemed a 'competent person' having passed the exams and does it without fear or favour!) We all hope that nobody is stupid enough to pass dangerous kit that they, their employees or anyone come to that will be climbing on or lowering with, just to save them selves a few quid. If you test your own kit would you want to pass something and then climb on it if you know is dodgy!? exactly.