Bees in trees and the law

Joe Newton

1 minute ago, Will C said:

It’s about time bees are protected seeing as they are endangered and with out pollinators our out look is bleak. Fair play for asking to get it right 

I wish they made it a legal requirement to register pesticide use. It's one of the biggest issues at the moment. The bees go out, they get sprayed with pesticides or pick it up off a plant. The whole hive dies. 

There's systems online that you can register crop spraying so beekeepers can keep the hive in for the day by shutting the entrance but they don't get used, especially by contractors! 

10 minutes ago, Will C said:

It’s about time bees are protected seeing as they are endangered and with out pollinators our out look is bleak. Fair play for asking to get it right 

Agreed. Pointless listing a species as endangered and not protecting them. There must be some reason.

I don't think honey bees are that endangered, if anything some of the latest reports were saying that in some locations there may be too many. Other bees, bumbles, solitary and suchlike are far more at risk.

They certainly have problems such as varroa but plenty of people are keeping them.

I agree with Paddy though, some of the farmers round here seem to spray almost weekly which can't help.

Thankfully my bees mainly forage on the pastures and woodlands and avoid the sprays.

• Like 1

The only real way to accelerate the bee population is to move to organic foods and stop the use of pesticides. Bees don't have predators (at least not on a large scale) so the only thing killing them is pesticides, Asian hornets, diseases brought in like European foul brood. Sadly it's only the pesticides really killing them! 

• Like 1